What’s the Best DIY Home Security System?
Nobody wants to leave their home for work, fishing or grocery shopping without some two-bit thief to make off with their goods behind their backs. And if you’re not looking for a hardwired security system to be installed by people you don’t know and trust, there’s always a Do-It-Yourself option available for comfort.
That’s right! We’re talking about a DIY Home Security System, giving you full authority of where you wish to place security cameras, sensors and alarms around your house without anyone else doing it for you.
And if you’re looking for reliable DIY Home Security systems, you may peruse our list of only the top-of-the-line entries right here:
Abode Essentials Starter Kit
The top of our list of DIY home security systems is this one from Abode.
Allow us to introduce to you one of the better home security brands out there in adobe with its Abode Essentials Starter Kit. It includes professional grade security and can be installed within minutes without going through the hassles of traditional security systems.
The Starter Kit includes everything that will get your security system up and running in no time, such as:
- 1 mini Door/Window Sensor
- Only 1 Gateway
- 1 Motion Sensor
- 1 Remote KeyFob
“It’s very easy to set up and I had in running in less than 30 minutes. I love how fast the notifications are via Smartphone. It seems like there’s no lag time, unlike some of the other home security systems that I’ve tried.”
Abode gives your home a grandiose home security upgrade by connecting to locks, lights, thermostats, garage openers as well as other devices that you can automate or control with ease.
You can check it out for yourself over on Amazon:
Abode vs SimpliSafe Home Security Systems
Arlo Pro 2 Home Security System
Next up on our list of the best DIY home security systems is this one from Arlo.
If it’s quality, reliability and convenience you’re after, look no further than the Arlo Pro 2 Home Security Camera System. It is highly regarded as one of the most powerful and wire-free security camera systems out there thanks to its 1080p video quality and weather-resistant design.
It’s features include:
- Smart Siren: Initiates a 100 decibel siren that can be controlled remotely whenever sound or motion is detected.
- 3-second Lookback: This feature captures activity three seconds before a triggered event so that you know exactly what happened.
- Optional 24/7 CVR: You can upgrade to limitless cloud-based recordings when the camera is plugged in or used indoors.
- 2-way Audio: You can listen to the voice of the visitor through the camera’s built-in speaker and mic straight from your smartphone.
“Great picture and quite easy to set up for the Arlo Pro 2. I had a small glitch with the phone app, but a quick call and customer service sorted me out. Not bad for such a reasonably priced home security device.”
For more information, please check out our full review: Arlo Home Security System. Or, check it out for yourself over on Amazon:
Arlo Pro 2 Review
Tired of passcodes? Rushing out to the door? And loud beeps? Then what you need is Nest Secure.
You can easily arm and disarm this security system using the Nest app right from the your mobile device. Just tap the Nest Tag function on Nest Guard as you come and go. Or better yet, just ask Google Assistant to arm your house for you.
Prominent features include:
- Nest Detect: This is a sensor that monitors doors, rooms and windows.
- Nest Tag: Arm and disarm your house without the need of a passcode.
- Nest Guard: This is the source of your entire security system’s alarms, sensor and keypad.
- Nest App: You can inspect what’s happening around your house simply by using the app from your phone wherever you may be.
Interested in Nest home security solutions? Check out our full review of the Nest Indoor Security Camera.
How to Install and Set Up Nest Secure
Ring Alarm Home Security Kit
The power of whole home security now rests in the palm of your hands thanks to the Ring Alarm Home Security Kit.
It instantly alerts you whenever your house doors or windows are opened or when motion is detected wherever you may be. The kit also features a keypad, base station, motion sensor, contact sensor and range extender.
- Base Station: It syncs all of your security cameras and ring video doorbells, allowing you to control your entire home system from just a simple app.
- Keypad: This allows you to easily arm or disarm your security system while you’re indoors.
- Ring Alarm: This sends alerts to your phone or tablet whenever your motion detector or contact sensor is triggered.
- Ring Protect Plus: Gives you 24/7 cellular backup, professional monitoring, video recording and sharing unlimited ring doorbells, exclusive discounts and cameras at home.
“The cost of this video doorbell, along with a year of monitoring was cheaper than most of the other options out there. It was easier to install that I thought it would be and I had it up and running, seamlessly in less than an hour. I’m impressed!”
Sounds like the right DIY home security system for you? You can check out our full review here: Ring Home Security Systems.
Or, check it out for yourself over on Amazon:
SimpliSafe: Shield Home Security System
Now you can rest at ease knowing your house is void of intrusions or burglary attempts with the SimpliSafe security system.
The system provides full-time monitoring of your house’s surveillance recordings, and immediately alerts you upon detecting any intrusions to keep you and your family safe.
In case of a power outage, the system includes a 24-hour backup power for added protection.
Other features include:
- Amazon Alexa Compatible: Use your voice to arm or disarm your home and check your security system status through your Alexa-enabled devices, using the SimpliSafe app.
- 24/7 Professional Monitoring: Gives your home 24-hour protection and lets you call the police whenever.
- Unnoticeable Sensors: The sensors are practically invisible to any crook who sneaks into your house.
- Pets Not Included: The sensors are pre-engineered to detect the heat signature of humans and not pets.
“I’ve had it for a week so far and I’m very impressed. It’s super easy to use and I’ve found customer service from the company to be excellent.”
For more details, be sure to check out our full review of one of the DIY home security systems: SimpliSafe Review.
Or, head over to Amazon to learn more:
Fortress Security Store S03 WiFi Classic Kit
Rounding out our list of the best DIY home security systems is this one from Fortress.
The Fortress Security S03 WiFi Security System is a much smarter way to protect your home from the inside out. It is very simple to install that includes customizations suitable for homes, apartments and businesses.
The S03 panel connects to your house’s Wifi and allows you to communicate with its free mobile app, available for Android and Apple devices.
By enabling the landline on your S03 system, you can call up to 6 phone numbers in case of an alarm.
Your home security’s alarm connects to the free MyFortress App that sends alerts right to your phone and tablet in case the alarm gets triggered, letting you know what’s happening inside of your house. The app also lets you arm, disarm and view in real-time for absolute security and peace of mind, all from a single dashboard.
- Amazon Alexa Support: By connecting the S03 WiFi with any Alexa-enabled device, you can arm or disarm your house simply by using your own voice.
- Two-Way Communication: This lets you communicate with your loved ones even while you’re away.
“I had a break in at my house a couple of weeks ago, and this thing saved me. The motion sensor and alarm went off, and the intruders were falling all over themselves to get out of there. Thank you Fortress Security!”
You can check out one of the best DIY home security systems for yourself over on Amazon:
DIY Home Security Systems: Have your Say!
What are your top picks for DIY home security systems? Leave a comment below and let us know.
Latest posts by Damon Kennedy (see all)
- The Best DIY Home Security Systems | Home Security Cameras - September 26, 2018
- Home Security System Without Internet | Security Camera Without WiFi - September 26, 2018
- Can Home Security Cameras be Hacked? | Hackable Security Cameras - September 25, 2018