You don’t have to spend your life savings!
Did you know that the average cost of a PTZ security camera is between $400 and $700?
The truth is, there are plenty of great options that cost far less than that. In fact, even the most expensive model we reviewed below costs less than that.
And our top recommendation for the best outdoor PTZ security camera costs far less.
If you’re buying cameras to protect a bank, go ahead and spend $700. But for home security, the cameras below are more than enough.
Best PTZ Outdoor Cameras Compared
Best Outdoor PTZ Security Camera: Reviews
We included one model that is far more expensive and the type of camera you might see in a secure office building. It still costs far less than the average, but it’s a lot more than the rest of our recommendations.
For most, there is no need to spend that much, but we wanted to include that model for anyone for whom money is no object. If that is the case, get the expensive one. It is easily the best.
Best Overall: Dragon Touch OD10
Dragon Touch OD10 Security Camera Outdoor, 1080P HD PTZ Outdoor Camera WiFi for Home Security...
- 360° Coverage and 4X Zoom: With a 90° viewing angle, 355° pan, 90° tilt, and 4x zoom, the Dragon...
- Full HD 1080P and Night Vision: View live video in up to 1080p (1920x1080) day and night. 4pcs...
- Compatible with ALEXA and The GOOGLE ASSISTANT: Control the WiFi ip camera outdoor with just your...
- Clear Two-way Audio: With the ptz camera’s built-in microphone and speaker, and upgraded noise...
- SmartT Motion Tracking: Automatically track and record video of moving objects and push alerts to...
This Dragon Touch outdoor PTZ security camera supports a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi connection and a wired LAN cable connection. This means you can choose a wireless or wired security option, depending on your preferences. Let’s check out what it has to offer.
- 360-degree coverage
- 4 infrared LED lights and 4 white LEDs
- Smart Motion Tracking
- This outdoor security camera offers 360° coverage and it enables you to zoom into the view by up to four times. This means that you can get to see more details in your video footage.
- It records in full HD 1080P and has night vision. With four infrared LED lights and four white LEDs, you’ll be able to see clearly up to distances of 66 feet away when it’s dark outside.
- This camera not only ensures that you will be able to see more details, but you’ll also be able to use two-way audio. This camera has a built-in microphone and speaker.
- It makes use of a Smartt Motion Tracking feature. This means you’ll be able to monitor as well as record video footage and get push alerts on your smartphone.
- The microSD card is not included.
- Some reports that the Wi-Fi signal is a bit fussy at times.
- The motion detection feature can be a bit too sensitive, with insects sometimes setting it off, even at a low setting.
- This security camera works with Google Assistant and Alexa. You can simply use your voice to control the camera, and you can view video footage on your Echo Show, Alexa devices, Chromecast-enabled devices, and Google Home Hub.
- Ships with everything you need to set up this PTZ security camera and start using it immediately. This includes a power adapter, a power extended cable, four expansion bolts, four mounting screws, a waterproof rubber ring and plug for the RJ45 port, a waterproof main part for the RJ45 port, and a quick start guide.
This PTZ camera has all the essential features, but it still sells for a very reasonable price. That is why it is our favorite pick overall. It is the best value for money.
Runner Up: CKK PTZ Security Camera Outdoor
5MP PTZ Security Camera Outdoor, CKK 5MP Wireless Pan Tilt Zoom (4xDigital) IP Camera with 64GB SD...
- 【Pan & Tilt Allowing 355 Degree Monitoring】CKK Pan-Tilt-Zoom camera with cruise covers...
- 【Motion Triggered Floodlights, Auto Tracking】 When CKK outdoor camera detects a human who is...
- 【Colored Night Vision & 5MP Full HD】CKK Home Surveillance Camera Offers a Full HD 5MP high...
- 【Two-way Audio & Remote View】Built-in Microphone & Speaker realizes a real-time conversation....
- 【IP66 Weatherproof & 64G SD Card Storage】CKK 5.0MP camera with Unique Design and IP66 Level...
If you want a security camera that gives you even better motion detection at night, from further distances, this CKK PTZ camera is a fantastic choice. Let’s check out its benefits and features.
- 98 foot night vision range
- 2 floodlights
- Automatic night mode
- It has a 355-degree pan and 120-degree tilt so you’ll be able to view almost 360 degrees right on the device app without having to worry about blind spots.
- It makes use of advanced optical and digital zooming technology. This means that you will have clear images even when you’re zooming into something.
- This camera is capable of 4x zooming, so you won’t miss a detail!
- 1080P video for greater clarity.
- To make it even easier to monitor your property, this camera has two built-in floodlights that also work well to guarantee true color during night vision.
- The camera will automatically switch into night vision mode when it gets dark outside, so you don’t have to remember to do it manually.
- Not only can it detect motion, but also sound. You can choose from three sensitivity levels.
- The camera is resistant to temperatures. It can work well between temperatures of -4° Fahrenheit to 122° Fahrenheit, so you don’t have to worry about harsh weather damaging it.
- Some complaints that the motion detection is too sensitive, sometimes setting off false alarms.
- Works with 2.4 Ghz WiFi only; 5 GHz WiFi is not supported
- You’ll receive alerts on your mobile phone when any motion is detected, so you’ll always be one step ahead of intruders on your property.
- You get two-way audio. This enables you to talk to visitors who want to enter your property.
- If you want to try to ward off intruders, you’ll love the sound and lights alarm that’s built into this camera. These will help scare off the intruder.
- To store your surveillance footage, you can make use of cloud storage. Alternatively, there’s also a 64GB SD card included with your purchase.
This camera has better night vision and a few extra features than the previous model, but it also costs more. We find the previous one a better value but only just slightly. If you like the additional features, get this one.
Best Budget PTZ Cam: Besdersec Pan Tilt Outdoor Security Camera
Pan Tilt Outdoor Security Camera, 1080P Home WiFi IP Camera, Pan Tilt Dome Surveillance Cam, Two Way...
- 【360° Panoramic & Two Way Audio】Upgraded 5dBi WiFi antenna, 355° horizontal & 90° vertical...
- 【Motion Detection & Alarms】 Want to warn uninvited guests? This outdoor security camera support...
- 【Plug & Play, ONVIF Compatible】 Following the step by step manual, it's pretty easy & fast to...
- 【FHD 1080P & Colorful Night Vision 】 Everyone wants to keep an eye on what he concerns about at...
- 【IP66 Weather-Proof & Please Note Before Purchase】 High-quality alloy case, this wireless...
This is actually just a PT cam, not a PTZ cam. It does not have a zoom function, but it does offer 355° horizontal views as well as 90° vertical rotation to cover a large amount of property and prevent blind spots. Let’s check out some of its other features.
- Smart tracking
- This smart camera has a smart tracking feature to follow intruders who are on your property so that you can always be sure of what’s happening beyond your front door. You’ll receive real-time motion detection with a snapshot that’s sent to your phone, email, and FTP server.
- It will also chase away uninvited people from your property by using motion detection and engaging light and sound alarms as a deterrent.
- It is weatherproof and can handle temperatures as low as -4° Fahrenheit and as high as 140° Fahrenheit.
- This camera doesn’t come with clear instructions, so it could prove a bit tricky to install for a beginner.
- You have to set up the camera via the app, which some users have found a bit fussy.
- One of the biggest drawbacks of this security camera is that it doesn’t have a zoom function.
- With its 4PCS infrared LEDs and 4PCS white LEDs, this camera will ensure you get all the footage you need, whether it’s day or night.
This outdoor security camera costs less than the other options listed here. If you are on a strict budget, it can be a good choice, as long as you don’t need the ability to zoom.
Best Dome: JideTech PTZ Dome Camera
HD 1080P PTZ Outdoor POE Security IP Dome Camera with 4X Optical Zoom Pan/Tilt/4X Motorized Zoom,...
- 2.5" Metal Pan-Tilt-Zoom IP Camera. View angle Pan Range:Pan Range: 0°~355°, Pan Speed: 120°/s,...
- Premium HD 1080p Video Resolution 1920(H)¡Á1080(V) at 15fps per sec. 2.8-12mm 4X Optical Zoom...
- Real-time and accurate intelligent motion alerts: Email Alerts/Snapshots as well as mobile and web...
- Power over Ethernet makes cabling and installation easier: this PoOE (802.3af POE) camera only needs...
- JideTech promises: 1-year warranty service and lifetime technical support. If you need tech support...
This dome camera by JideTech is a bit different. It is wired only, not wireless, and it makes use of motorized zoom. Let’s check it out!
- 115-feet night vision range
- Motion detection zone customization
- Compatible with security software
- You will be able to make use of real-time, precise motion tracking in black and white mode, even when it’s pitch black outside. The camera can see up to 115 feet.
- You can set up motion detection zones so that the camera is forced to monitor specific areas. When motion is detected, the camera will send you alerts to your phone.
- This camera is built to be strong, with a waterproof full aluminum alloy housing.
- It’s compatible with most security monitoring software, such as iSpy, VLC, Tinycam, Blue Iris, and more.
- It is not a wireless camera
- The dome can fog up at times, due to cold temperatures.
- Vertical tilt is limited to about four degrees. The result of this is that it points downwards a bit when it hits that limit.
- It doesn’t come with a power supply so if you don’t have a Power Over Ethernet (POE) switch, the camera won’t have power.
- The four-inch base is smaller than other cameras so you have more options for where to mount it.
- This camera has a user-friendly interface that’s very easy to navigate.
This outdoor security camera is quite a bit more expensive than all but one of the other models featured in our buying guide. But there is a reason for that.
It is a professional quality security camera, with a more solid build and many customization options. But it is a wired camera, which will make it unusable to many.
Highest Quality: Ctronics Professional PTZ Camera
Ctronics PTZ Camera Security Camera Outdoor - 5MP 30X Optical Zoom, 492ft Night Vision with Laser IR...
- 👁🗨30X Optical Zoom PTZ Camera：The 30X optical zoom feature provides the ability to focus...
- 🏡Night Vision 492ft Surveillance Camera ：Advanced night vision with 7pcs high performance...
- 🏃Auto Tracking& Sound Light Alarm：The PTZ cmera with improved smart motion detection function...
- 🏡5MP HD Security Camera：Our surveillance camera with Image Sensor adopt 5.0Megapixels Sony...
- 🎙Two-Way Audio& Waterproof：The PTZ outdoor camera will be durable for using even under snow and...
This camera is on another level, but it has a price to match. The Ctronics can capture details like faces of your intruders or even the license plate of the strange car that’s sometimes outside your front gate. If you have the budget, this is our top pick. But it is not the best value, since it costs so much more than the rest.
- 30x zoom
- Ultra HD 5MP
- Auto tracking
- This security camera is capable of a 30x optical zoom.
- It has a 355° horizontal and 90° vertical pan and tilt.
- This camera gives you advanced night vision, thanks to its 7 infrared LED lights and two additional laser infrared lights. This means you can see things from 400 feet away.
- It comes with smart motion detection and auto tracking. You’ll receive snapshots recorded in real time of any strange or unwanted activity on your property.
- The camera makes use of Ultra HD 5MP video resolution so that you can capture color-rich details.
- It has built-in microphones and speakers for two-way audio, which comes in handy if you want to speak to someone who’s at the gate (like a delivery person) without going outside.
- This security camera offers AES 128-bit encryption. This is highly recommended by various security agencies and will protect your privacy.
- It’s expensive.
- Customer service is not always responsive to queries.
- Waterproof and resistant to power surges as well as lightning. This will ensure you can use it with greater confidence, knowing its strong aluminum will keep it protected from a variety of dangers.
- It’s compatible with iOS and Android smartphones, iPad and Android tablets, and Mac OS and Windows PCs.
- Just like with some other security cameras, this one has flashing lights and alarm sounds to scare off intruders.
This PTZ outdoor security camera has loads of excellent features to keep you and your family safe. It is easily the best option on the market, but it has a price to match. For most, we recommend our top choice above, since it costs so much less. But if money is not an issue, get this one. It is far better.
Outdoor PTZ Security Camera FAQ
If you’ve got some questions you’d like to know about PTZ security cameras, we’ve got the answers. Let’s check out some common questions about these types of security cameras.
What Is A PTZ Security Camera?
These cameras have pan, tilt, and zoom functions which can be controlled manually or automatically. When it comes to panning, the camera can move to the left and right so it has a wider field of coverage.
You can find 360° pan ranges available. The PTZ camera can tilt up and down, so you get more vertical range than what you’d get from other types of cameras. You can find PTZ cameras with a vertical range up to 180°.
Finally, when it comes to zooming, the optical zoom feature adjusts the camera and changes its focal length, which is why the videos maintain their quality.
As we’ve seen from the reviews above, zoom capabilities vary greatly. The 30x zoom that the Ctronics camera is capable of is the most powerful zoom of any models on this list.
How Much Does A PTZ Camera Cost?
The average cost for a PTZ camera is between $400 and $700, but it’s clear to see from our buying guide that a PTZ camera doesn’t have to blow your budget.
You can find these cameras for around $50 or $70, but they are obviously not going to be the same quality as those more expensive ones. They are generally more than enough for home use, though.
Are dome or bullet cameras better?
If you’re not sure if you should install a dome or bullet security camera in your home, let’s first look at what these cameras are and how they differ from each other.
This type of camera is situated inside a transparent case that is shaped like a dome. It can be used indoors or outdoors, and many people like this camera because of its discreet appearance.
You can’t tell from looking at it where the camera is pointing. Dome cameras also tend to be more durable, because their lenses are protected by the domes.
One of the best dome PTZ cameras is the JideTech dome camera that we featured in our reviews. It’s weatherproof and allows you to set up motion detector zones so you can always be informed of what’s happening on your property.
Bullet cameras get their name because of their design: they have a long cylindrical shape. They have wider ranges, so they’re great for giving you more detailed views of large areas.
While both types of security cameras have their benefits, if you need a camera that will give you a wider range of view, a bullet camera is best. It can accommodate a larger lens, due to the shape of the camera.
How Are PTZ Cameras Controlled?
One of the big things you’ll need to consider before purchasing a PTZ camera is how you’re going to be able to control it. This can be done with the use of a remote camera controller.
This enables you to manually and remotely adjust the camera so that you can track your property closely. The benefit, of course, is that you don’t have to go to the camera to be able to adjust its settings.
Many cameras, like as the HeimVision PTZ camera, have an app you need to download to your device. This enables you to be able to control the camera.
Some cameras, like the Dragon Touch camera that made the top spot in our list, are compatible with Alexa and Google Assistant, so you can control the camera with your voice.
What Is Better: NVR Or DVR?
If you need to choose between NVR (network video recorder) or DVR (digital video recorder) cameras, NVR is usually better. NVR devices can be used in a wired or wireless system, which makes them more versatile than DVRs. They also have other benefits.
- They use IP cameras which record video and audio, therefore offering greater surveillance for your property.
- They have powerful hardware that allows for features like facial recognition.
- They have better image quality than DVR cameras because of their digital (instead of analog) signals.
These are a few benefits that NVRs have over DVRs. To find out more, you should read our NVR vs DVR comparison.
Do All Outdoor Security Cameras Have To Be Plugged In?
The term “wireless” in security cameras is sometimes misleading because it means that the data transmission from the camera to your receiver is wireless BUT you might still need to use a power cable to plug it into an electrical outlet.
This doesn’t mean that you can’t find wireless security cameras that don’t need to run on electricity, though. There are plenty of models that run on batteries or solar power.
While you might think battery-operated security cameras could let you down when they run out of battery life, the batteries tend to last a long time. A big reason for this is motion detection.
Battery-powered security cameras usually only switch on when they detect any movement on the property. This greatly extends battery life.
If you want to improve the security of your home and property, you’ll likely want to install high-quality cameras that will monitor and track potential intruders.
PTZ cameras are a solid choice because of their various benefits. They have features such as panning, tilting, and zooming so that you won’t miss out on crucial details that could identify your intruders. They also reduce blind spots in your home.
In this article, we’ve reviewed the best PTZ security camera devices on the market. We included some budget options and some expensive ones when budget doesn’t matter. Hopefully you were able to find the perfect PTZ camera for your needs.
- A Guide To Protecting the Elderly Online - September 14, 2021
- Imou Security Camera Review: For Complete Peace of Mind - August 5, 2021
- Guide To Anonymous Browsing - July 15, 2021
Last update on 2022-09-30 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API