Everything is smart these days.
Your home security system should be no exception.
Most of us can’t afford a full security system with cameras connected to a base unit for monitoring ans playback, like you see in office buildings or fancy residential complexes. Luckily, there are plenty of options for small cameras.
And if you get a smart home security camera, you can control it from your smartphone and receive any security alerts there. These also record, so you have a record of any incidents.
Best of all, they cost a few hundred dollars at most, and far under a hundred for the budget versions.
As is to be expected, many of these cameras are not very good. But some are.
We’ve narrowed all the options on the market down to the best smart indoor cameras. Check them out below. With the help of our reviews, you should be able to find the model that best fills your needs.
Top Smart Indoor Security Cameras Compared
See all our top picks in this table. Brief reviews for each follow below, along with a few other cameras we really like.
Best Smart Home Security Cameras Reviewed
The following brief reviews should help you decide which of our recommended smart home cameras is right for you. If you need more info, follow the links for each model to our full, in-depth reviews.
SENS8 Home Security Camera System
SENS8 Home Security Camera System with Alarm / Siren, 1080p Smart Wireless / 2.4G Wi-Fi Indoor...
- COMPLETE PROTECTION: 1080p HD camera with night vision, motion detection, 95+ dB alarm & speaker....
- NO MONTHLY FEE EVER: 8GB built in memory and support for uploading videos to cloud storage on...
- CUSTOM MOTION ZONE:Customize your motion detection to protect important areas of your home and...
- DRASTICALLY REDUCED FALSE ALARMS: False alarms virtually eliminated thanks to the special optical...
- TWO WAY COMMUNICATION: When at work or out for the evening, you cannot only see what the children...
If you’re looking for a premium option for an indoor security camera, look no further than SENS8.
Although the up-front price is higher than most of their competitors, there is no subscription fee. This means you’ll save a ton of money over the medium to long-term compared to some of the other brands on this list.
The way it works is that the SENS8 has 8 GB of storage built in, which syncs to either Dropbox or Google Drive. It really is that easy to have a record of what’s going on in your home when you’re not there.
Key Features Of The SENS8
Besides that, there are so many features that you’ll love. It’s the perfect device for keeping your home and family safe.
Some of the things that SENS8 has, but others don’t, are the backup battery power, sync to Google Drive or Dropbox, and humidity/heat sensors. Pretty amazing for such an affordable device. Some of the best features include:
- 2 hours of battery life in case the power goes out
- Humidity and heat sensors/alarms
- 1080 HD camera with night vision
- 2-way audio
- Motion sensor and 5-second look-back. The video starts recording 5 seconds before the motion is detected
- Patented algorithm that has very few false alarms
What Do People Think About Sens8 Cameras?
“I’ve always wanted a home security camera, but just never wanted to deal with the hassle of one. This one is great though. Super easy to set-up, and also easy to access the video feed via phone app. Overall, I’m super happy with this, especially when you consider the reasonable price and no monthly fees.”
“It’s an easy, cheap and good security system for your home or office. The sync to dropbox works really well, and I think there’s an option for Google Drive as well.”
“SENS8 gave me so much piece of mind when I went on vacation. I loved being able to keep an eye on what was going on around my house, and the motion sensor/alarm thing is awesome to have.”
Learn More About The SENS8 Indoor Smart Home Security Camera
Learn more about this indoor security camera here: SENS8 Smart Home Security Review.
Overall, this indoor security camera from SENS8 is by far the best on this list. You can check it out for yourself on Amazon.
Wyze Wireless Smart Home Camera
Wyze Cam 1080p HD Indoor Wireless Smart Home Camera with Night Vision, 2-Way Audio, Person...
- Live Stream from Anywhere in 1080p -1080p Full HD live streaming lets you see inside your home from...
- Motion/Sound Recording with Free Cloud Storage - Wyze Cam can automatically record a 12-second video...
- See in the dark - Night vision lets you see up to 30' in absolute darkness using 4 infrared (IR)...
- Voice Controlled? You got it! - Works with Alexa and Google Assistant (US only) so you can use your...
- Person Detection at no extra cost - New in July 2019: Get notified when a person is detected and...
Next up on our list of the best indoor security cameras is this one from Wyze. it has all the features of some of the more expensive surveillance cameras, but at a far cheaper price point.
Key Features Of The Wyze Indoor Security Camera
The thing we love best is that the Wyze Cam includes 14 days (rolling) cloud based storage. That’s way better than many of their competitors selling their cameras for 4-5 more.
There is also the option of using a storage card (you supply it yourself) for a more permanent solution. Many other cameras do not have this option. Here are just a few of the things you’ll love:
- Compatible with Alexa
- 1080 HD camera with night vision
- Direct streaming to your Smartphone via phone app
- Rolling, 14-day cloud storage (free)
- Metal plate that allows easy installation anywhere with no screws
What Do People Think About The Wyze Security Camera?
“This little thing is pretty amazing. It’s easy to set up in just a few minutes, and I love the rolling storage feature. There are some complaints about the picture quality, but what can you expect for such a low price? I certainly am not going to compare it to a $500 security camera!”
“The sound quality is great, and the picture quality is good enough for my needs. I bought it because I live in a rental apartment and didn’t want to install anything permanent. It does the job I need it to do.”
“This is a great camera, especially for the price. It’s quite a bit cheaper than some of the higher-end baby cams I was considering. I use it in my kid’s bedroom at night to make sure they’re going to sleep!”
Wyze Cam Video Review
Want to know more about this affordable wireless security camera? You’ll want to check this out: Wyze Indoor Security Camera Review.
Or you can just head over to Amazon to see what they say and also to check the current price.
Yi Home Camera Surveillance System
YI Smart Home Camera 3 w/ 6-Month Cloud Service, AI-Powered 1080p 2.4G Wi-Fi Indoor Security Camera...
- Dedicated version with 6-month YI cloud storage - more than basic. 24/7 live view and 24 hours...
- Get Immediate Assistance with 24/7 Emergency Response Service - Through one click, instantly involve...
- Enhanced alert system with abnormal Sound Detection/ human detection - identify sounds within a...
- Privacy mode with scheduling power off - customize stand-by time of your camera for each day of your...
- Easy to view and share with YI home app - monitor and control your camera in one convenient phone...
Another very affordable option for indoor security camera is this one from Yi. It’s far cheaper than some of the more expensive home security cameras out there, but has enough features that you’ll be glad you saved your money!
Key Features Of The Yi Home Camera
One of the things we love best about the Yi Security Camera is that the storage choice is yours to make. The unit is compatible with up to a 32 GB storage card. Or, you can upgrade to cloud storage that is reasonably priced, and offers a very convenient set-up.
Why don’t all cameras have this card storage option? We really have no idea, except that the companies just want to sell cloud storage. Here are just a few of the things you’ll love:
- Cloud (7 days free, or upgrade for more), or card storage
- Full HD recording
- 2-way audio
- Alerts for baby crying
- Easy to use phone app
- Can be accessed by multiple people under 1 account
- Not compatible with Alexa
User Reviews For The Yi Smart Security Camera
“Very easy to set up and the picture is quite good. My only real complaint is that the sound quality isn’t stellar, and it’s not easy to hear anything above the regular noises in the house. But, I’m very happy overall, especially when you consider the price.”
“I was recently bedridden due to a surgery, so I bought this thing. It enables me to see who’s at the front door and speak to them. Very useful and once I recover, I can see how useful it would be to record videos of this for while I’m on vacation or at work.”
“I got these so I could keep an eye on my dogs while I was at work, and they work great for that. The mobile app is awesome and easy to get all hooked up and running. Love my new toy, but it’s not exactly top of the line video quality. However, for the price? It’s pretty decent in terms of performance. That’s the bottom line.”
Sound like exactly what you need to keep your home and family safe, or just check up on the dog when you’re not at home? Check out our full review of the Yi Home Camera for more. Or head over to Amazon.
Amazon Cloud Cam Indoor Security Camera
Amazon Cloud Cam Security Camera, Works with Alexa
- Stay connected 24/7 - Catch activities as they happen in 1080p Full HD. Watch, download, and share...
- Notifications - Get notified when Cloud Cam sees activity. Check in anytime or watch motion clips on...
- See clearly in the dark - Night vision lets you detect what's happening around the clock. Turn...
- Two-way audio - Check in with the family or tell your dog to stop barking.
- 30-day free trial of Cloud Cam Plans - Get Smart Alerts and advanced features like person and audio...
Next up on our list of indoor security camera is the Amazon Cloud Cam. It’s a great camera with excellent audio and video quality at a very reasonable price.
The reason why it’s not at the top of our list is that you have to get a monthly subscription for cloud storage along with it. Although they do have 24 hours of cloud storage for free, most people find that it’s not enough.
We wish that they’d either offer a better option for free (rolling 3-day storage for example), or give the option of using your own memory card.
Key Features Of The Amazon Cloud Camera
The main reason why you might consider the Amazon Cloud Camera is because it’s so easy to set up. Do you think shopping on Amazon is painless? This camera is just as easy to use.
- 1080 HD recording
- Motion detector alerts, and the ability to check it at any time with phone or computer
- 2-way audio
- Compatible with Alexa
- Save money when you buy more than one camera
- New features being added all the time
Amazon Cloud Cam Video Review
Sound like exactly what you need to keep your loved ones, and home safe? Find out more here: Amazon Cloud Camera Review. You could also check it out for yourself over on Amazon.
Nest Smart Indoor Security Camera
Google, NC1104US, Nest Cam Indoor, Security Camera, Black, 1
- DON'T MISS A THING WITH NEST ALERTS: Whether the kids just came home from school or the dog has...
- BE HEARD WITH NEST: Nest Cam Indoor has a built-in speaker and mic, so you can hear what's happening...
- SET IT UP ANYWHERE: The compact size of the Nest Cam makes installation a breeze. Nest Cam Indoor's...
- WORKS WITH NEST: Nest has worked hard to design thoughtful devices to help keep you safe and secure....
- THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE A NEST HOME: We love home. It's the best place in the world. But not...
Next on our list of the best indoor security cameras is this one from Nest. Although not cheap, it’s one of the highest quality devices on this list, and people love the video and audio quality.
The reason we don’t have it higher on our list is that the camera really doesn’t work that well unless you get the yearly cloud storage subscription. It almost feels like the company designed their product to force people into upgrading to this.
For such an expensive product, we don’t love that they decided to go this route. You should not be forced to pay for a subscription. And we wish that they had included things like heat and humidity sensors, at this price.
That said, there are still a ton of things to love about the Nest Camera.
- Some excellent user ratings and reviews (best in the category)
- Motion detector sensor and alerts that work very well, unlike some of the cheaper smart home cameras
- The camera is easy to mount anywhere
- Compatible with Alexa
- 2-way audio
Customer Reviews For The Nest Smart Home Camera
“It has an excellent picture quality, which would make it really easy to identify any intruder into my home. Some of the negative reviews mention the cost of the yearly cloud subscription, but the way I see it, it’s actually quite a good value considering what you get.”
“I love how easy it is to customize each specific camera via the app. You can turn one on, and one off. Video but no sound and vice-versa for the other camera? No problem.”
“I use the Nest Cam to check up on my elderly parent. I don’t need the recording feature so don’t have the same complaint that many other people do. The video quality is great, and the 2-way audio feature is really nice to have. She puts her laptop screen in front of the camera and I can help her do some basic things like online banking, etc.”
More Information About The Nest Home Surveillance Camera
Does this sound like what you need? Check out our full review of the Nest Security Camera. Or check it out on Amazon.
Blink Indoor Home Security Camera System with Motion Detection, HD Video, 2-Year Battery Life and...
- MOTION DETECTOR: Built-in motion sensor alarm, when motion detector is triggered, WIFI cameras send...
- BATTERY POWERED SECURITY SYSTEM: Wireless home camera with 2-year battery life, powered by 2 Lithium...
- SMART HOME SECURITY: Simple self-install home monitoring in minutes; easy control wireless cameras...
- ADVANCED HOME SURVEILLANCE: Home and pet monitoring in real time with video camera "Live View"...
- FREE CLOUD STORAGE: Totally wire-free, with no monthly fees or service contract required. (Requires...
Next up on our list is the Blink XT camera. It’s a top-quality smart home security system that comes at a very reasonable price. The best part? There are no monthly subscription fess, but cloud storage is included.
Although the picture quality is kind of at the low end, at 720P, it’s still good enough for most people’s needs. And the motion detection and night vision work really well.
- Indoor and outdoor models
- 720p HD video
- Up to 30 FPS
- 2 year battery life
- Motion detection
- Cloud storage included
- Compatible with Alexa or Amazon Echo
- Wire free
- Phone app for iOS or Android
- Live view mode
- Instant, push notification alerts
- LED illuminator
- Microphone for one-way audio
What Do People Think About The Blink Smart Camera?
“My apartment got broken into a few months ago and I got a ton of stuff stolen. I was super worried and paranoid that it’d happen again, so I got myself this Blink smart security camera. Serious peace of mind in a nice little package. Easy set-up and a ton of options.”
“I initially got these to keep an eye on my dog while we went away on vacation and also to make sure that the dog sitter we hired was actually checking in on him twice daily. I love how much access you have to the camera remotely via the phone app. It makes it super easy to arm and disarm them. Nice picture quality too.”
“Easy set up, no wires or monthly fees. Fair pricing and live viewing. What more could you really want in something like this?”
Where To Buy It
Does it sound like the right security device for your needs? Learn more in our full Blink XT review or check it out on Amazon.
Heimvision Security Camera
heimvision HM203 1080P Security Camera with Smart Night Vision/Ptz/Two-Way Audio, 2.4GHz Wireless...
- 1080P HD video live stream to your smartphone day and night. Install the app, connect, and you will...
- Security camera with motion and sound detection. The HM203 Wi-Fi camera detects movement and sound,...
- Smart camera with night vision and two way audio. Automatically switches to night vision mode in low...
- Reliable Wi-Fi camera with user-friendly app: only supports 2.4GHz Wi-Fi to connect via mobile App...
- Cloud Storage and local backup: The heimvision HM203 comes with a 1-month AWS cloud of 72 hours...
If you’re looking for one of the most affordable options on this list, then Heimvision might just be it. It’s a top-quality device with excellent audio and video quality, but it’s around half the price or even 1/3 that of the more expensive options.
- 1080p security camera
- Smart night vision
- Motion detection
- Wireless IP camera
- Cloud service
- MicroSD support
- Control the pan/tilt/zoom with your Smartphone
What Do People Think About It?
“The clearest picture I’ve seen in a security camera under a $1000. The night vision works perfectly and you can also hear a pin drop the audio is so good. When you consider the price, this certainly has to be one of the best values around.”
“Super easy to set up in just a few minutes. I know it’s kind of weird, but I use it to keep an eye on my cats when I’m away for 2-3 nights on a business trip. Because I can see that they’re okay, I don’t worry about getting a cat sitter for them. You can buy those pet cams that toss treats or whatever, but this one is less than half the price and suits my needs.”
“Just plugged it in and followed the step by step quick start instructions. Was able to connect it to my Smartphone and have it running in under 10 minutes. Nicely done! As far as the quality goes, I’m very happy with it. The images are clear and the 2-way audio works very well. Nothing to complain about it at all and I’ve actually recommended this product to so many people already.”
Where Can I Get It?
You can easily find this top-quality home security device online. Click the button below to check it out on Amazon. You can also read our full review of the Heimvision camera.
Zmodo Pivot 1080p 360° Rotating Wireless Security Camera and All-in-One Smart Home Hub with 2...
- Cover your entire space with Pivot's wide-angle, rotating 1080p camera. With 16GB of built-in...
- Receive an alert on your phone when motion is detected, and customize which areas on your live view...
- Pivot is a hub for Zmodo accessories, and comes with door / window sensors to alert you when...
- Set up in minutes with the Zmodo mobile app. Create an account, connect to a temporary network that...
- Pivot requires a password-protected 2.4GHz Wi-Fi connection with WPA/WPA2 encryption. Full 3-Year US...
Next up on our list of the top options to consider is the Zmodo Pivot. It’s a reasonably priced alternative that bills itself as more than just a security camera. It is a total smart home system. Does it work, and how does it stack up against the competition? Let’s find out!
- Value for money
- Ease of use
- Quality of build
- For approximately $100 and having so many features in one equipment is undoubtedly excellent.
- More features than I’d expect that can maximize property security.
- Easy to use the app with step by step instructions.
- Great size and very resistant.
- Windows and door sensors
- Temperature and humidity readings
- Password protected
- Two-way audio
- Rechargeable battery
What Do People Think About It?
“Really solid product that works exactly as advertised. Just about the only flaw in my opinion is the fact that it only comes with a 16 GB memory card. You can pay for cloud service but I was hoping to avoid that.”
“A nice simple camera that’s really easy to set up. It sits in our dining room and you can hardly notice it’s there. The door sensors work well and when motion is detected, the device records 30 seconds of high quality video. The night vision works well enough and I love the two-way audio that allows me to calm my dog down when I’m not at home. Nice buy at a reasonable price!”
“Please note that this is an indoor camera and is not weatherproof. That said, I didn’t know this and left mine out for a few days. No harm done though and it’s still ticking along. Just about the only thing I wish it had is Bluetooth capability. Besides that, it’s an awesome unit and I couldn’t be happier with it!”
Where Can I Get It?
Does it sound like the right indoor camera for your needs? You can easily find on Amazon. Click the button below to check it out there or go read our Zmodo camera review first.
Can Home Security Cameras Be Hacked?
Almost anything that’s connected to your Smartphone via the Internet can be hacked. That’s not to say that it’s easy to do, or that people want to go through the trouble of doing this to your home security device.
A burglar may not even know that you have one of these devices inside your home. You can learn more about this here: Can Home Security Systems be Hacked?
Smart Home Indoor Security Cameras: Your Thoughts
What’s your top pick for indoor security cameras? Lave a comment below and let us know your thoughts. Also be sure to give this article a share on Facebook, Pinterest, or Twitter. It’ll help other people concerned about home security, like yourself find this useful resource.
Latest posts by Damon Kennedy (see all)
- Tenvis Wireless IP Camera With Night Vision Review - October 11, 2019
- Q-See Camera Review: The Right Home Or Business Security Solution? - August 6, 2019
- Best Hidden Office Cameras For Covert Monitoring - August 1, 2019
Last update on 2019-10-15 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API