If you’re looking for a very simple home security system that you can install in minutes, or something for remote locations, then you’ll want to consider a solar powered security camera. Of these, our top pick is the Reolink Argus 2.
Read our buying guide packed with information to help you decide if this solar powered wireless security camera is the right choice for you.
Reolink Argus 2+Solar Panel | Wireless Rechargeable Battery-Powered Solar Security Camera for...
- No Wires Simple Installation - Reolink Argus 2+Solar Panel wireless battery security camera is...
- Vivid 1080p HD and Stunning Night Vision - This wireless detachable battery powered security outdoor...
- Record to SD Card and Cloud Storage - Micro SD card slot accepts up to 64GB for home security camera...
- Remotely Access Camera via Free Reolink Software - Live view and playback through the security...
- 100% Money Back Guarantee - The solar powered security camera will quickly become your favorite...
Reolink Argus 2 Review: Top Pick For Solar Powered Security Camera
If you’re looking for a solar powered home or business security camera, then you actually don’t have that many options. Most of them require a source of power such as an electrical outlet, or via PoE (power over ethernet) connection to a hard drive via cable.
The good news is that among the solar powered security cameras, you do have one excellent option, the Reolink Argus 2. It’s a robust security solution that has all the features you’d expect, including night vision, push notifications, 2-way audio, high quality camera lens, and easy DIY installation.
Back all these features up with great customer service and tech support from Reolink, along with money-back guarantee and you certainly have a winner. It’s one of our top picks here at Spy Cameras Reviewed for people who want a simple, DIY security camera that doesn’t require wires or technical know-how of any kind. Seriously. Just about anyone can install this thing easily!
Key Features Of This Solar Powered Wireless Security Camera
- Solar panel/rechargeable battery powered camera
- Also has a USB charging function for additional charging if necessary (cameras are easily removed from their base)
- Installation in minutes without wires or drills
- Designed for outdoor use
- 1080p HD camera, with 130 degree field of view
- 2-way audio
- Night vision (33 feet)
- PIR motion detection
- SD card storage (up to 64GB), as well as in the Reolink Cloud
- Compatible with Google Assistant
- Remote access (live view and playback modes) for up to 10 people via iOS or Android phone or tablet app and no monthly fees
- 100% money-back guarantee
Does the Reolink Argus 2 sound like the right solar power security camera for your needs? You can check now for the best prices on Amazon.
- Very easy installation
- Runs on batteries that can be charged with solar power or USB charger (attached magnetically to bases so the camera can easily be removed for USB charging)
- No subscription fees for storage
- Smartphone App works well and has a ton of features and playback options
- Wide-angle, high quality footage that includes night vision
- Charges enough to run through the night, even on cloudy days
- Night vision works well
- Reolink is a top home security company with great tech support and customer service
One of the top pros is the fact that it’s very easy to hide this wireless device almost anywhere on your property. If you want to discreetly keep an eye on what’s going on when you’re not there, this makes one of the top choices. More details here: How to Hide Outdoor Security Cameras.
- Can be a bit difficult to install cameras and solar panels on some surfaces (stucco for example) in a place with good Wi-Fi signal
- Slightly less reliable than hardwired systems and also more susceptible to hackers
- May not be ideal for people in certain climates (lots of rain for example)
Reolink Argus 2 Video Review
Solar Powered WiFi Security Camera From Reolink: Customer Reviews
“I did a ton of research, looking at battery and solar powered options for security cameras and came up with the Argus 2. Now that I have it in my hands, there are a ton of things I love about it, including how easy it was to set up, the 2-way audio/siren, and alerts to my phone. A great security solution for when there isn’t power at hand.”
“Bought this to use for security on our front porch and I love the fact that I don’t even have to think about it. It just charges itself and I didn’t have to run wires or drill through anything. The alerts to my phone work well and I’ve seriously never had a problem with in the year that I’ve been using it. Highly recommended.”
“Nice security camera that doesn’t require power. I got one to keep an eye on my shed with all my expensive tools. The Wi-Fi signal is strong enough to get out there, but no power outlet unfortunately. This unit works well and does exactly what it says it’ll do. Plus, I love no fees for cloud storage because this kind of thing can add up really quickly month over month. If you’re on the fence, just for it.”
Compare Solar Powered Security Cameras
Besides the Reolink Argus 2, there are a few other options you may want to consider. Check out some of them here:
Why Consider Solar Powered Security Systems?
There are a number of reasons why you might consider a security system that’s powered by solar energy instead of batteries or a power outlet. Here are a few of the top ones:
Because there are no wires or power outlet required, you can use the Reolink Argus 2 in many different locations that are remote or geographically challenging. For example, vacation homes, construction sites, farms, RV or boat storage, etc.
That said, if you want to have remote access, you’ll need wi-fi.
Easy Installation With Wireless Solar Powered Security Systems
If you compare solar cameras to hard-wired security cameras, you’ll notice a huge difference in terms of ease of installation. There are no cables to run, or holes to drill. All you have to do is ensure that your camera will get enough sunlight to power it.
And, if you want to move it to a new site, just take it down and put it up again in minutes.
Great For The Environment
If you want a security solution that’s better for the environment, then go with solar. Take advantage of the sun, instead of relying on electricity that is often generated with fossil fuels.
Monitoring At Night As Well
A common question that people have about these kinds of solar powered surveillance cameras is whether or not they can work at night, or just during the day when sunlight is available. They are able to provide security at night as well because there are rechargeable batteries that charge during the day and they are usually equipped with night vision capabilities.
Reolink Argus 2: Installation And Review
Reolink Argus 2 Review Conclusion: The Best Solar Powered Security Camera?
If you’re looking for a top-quality, wireless security solution, then you’ll want to seriously consider the Argus 2 from Reolink. Despite being powered by solar, it has all the features you’d expect from a top security camera. This includes recording in HD, night vision capabilities and push notifications to your phone in case motion is detected.
Some Extra Features You’ll Love
Besides that, it has some features that other cameras don’t, including 2-way audio and the ability to sound a loud siren. This can be useful for talking to delivery or service people, or you can sound the siren in case it’s someone who shouldn’t be there.
Are there Any Negatives To This Solar Powered Wireless Security Camera?
As far as negatives go, there really aren’t that many of them. Just about the only problem is if you live in a climate that doesn’t get a lot of sun.
In this case, the cameras may not fully charge, but you do have the option of removing them (easy to do with the magnetic base) and using a USB charger to give them a little extra juice.
Finally, these wireless systems are slightly easier to hack than systems run via wires, but this is a common problem among all wireless security cameras and not specifically the Argus 2.
Reolink Argus 2: Top Among Solar Powered Outdoor Wireless Security Camera Systems
Taking these negatives into account, the Reolink Argus is still a great buy in our books. And among the solar powered security cameras, it’s far and away the best option out there.
Where Can I Find This Solar Powered Security Camera System?
You can easily find the Reolink Argus 2 on Amazon. Click the button below to learn more about it and also to check for the lowest prices,
Is there a Battery Powered Security Camera that I Should Consider?
Reolink Argus 100% Wire-Free 1080p HD Outdoor Wireless Battery-Powered Security Camera for Home with...
- [100 % Wire-Free & Battery-Powered] No cords, no wiring & no installation needed --- easily place it...
- [1080p Full HD & Excellent Night Vision] Enable you to see everything clearly day and night. See...
- [Easy Setup & IP65 Weatherproof] Small, portable and also weathproof! Easily place Reolink Argus...
- [Smart PIR Motion Sensor] Highly sensitive and 130° wide-angle sensor detects human movements, and...
- [Remote View & Two-Way Talk] The built-in mic & speaker allow you to view & listen to what's going...
If you’re looking for a slightly more reliable option that doesn’t depend on the sun and that also doesn’t require a power outlet, then you’ll want to take a look at the Zumiml ZM-WFA3.
It is powered entirely by batteries (rechargeable or non-rechargeable). In terms of features, it’s quite similar to the Reolink Argus 2, with the notable exception of how it’s powered.
Argus 2 Solar Powered Outdoor Security Camera: Your Thoughts
What are your thoughts about the Reolink Argus 2, our top pick for a solar powered wireless security camera system? Leave a comment below and let us know.
Also be sure to give this article a share on Facebook, Pinterest, or Twitter. It’ll help other people, like yourself who are concerned about home or business security find this useful resource.
Latest posts by Damon Kennedy (see all)
- Q-See Camera Review: The Right Home Or Business Security Solution? - August 6, 2019
- Best Hidden Office Cameras For Covert Monitoring - August 1, 2019
- How To Hide Security Cameras Indoors And Outdoors - July 24, 2019
Last update on 2019-09-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API