If you’re looking for a top-quality home or small business security solution, then the Night Owl Security Camera should be at the top of your list.
Read our buying guide packed with information to help you decide if it’s right for you. And, to find out why we like it so much.
- Night Owl's 1080p Wired Infrared Cameras provide up to 100 ft. of Night Vision. During the day your...
- These wide angle cameras provide a 100 degree field of view, which far surpasses the standard 42...
- While 4 cameras may suit your current coverage needs, one of the best features of this Smart...
- Night Owl fits right in with your mobile lifestyle by allowing you to remotely monitor your home or...
- At Night Owl, our goal is to provide an incomparable experience for any technical support required,...
Review of the Night Owl Security Camera System
This hardwired security system from Night Owl is one of the cheapest on the market. Is it a great value, or too cheap and should be given a miss? Let’s find out!
The system includes many of the features that the more expensive systems do such as motion detection, heat sensors, night vision and push notifications. A big think lacking is audio, either 1 or 2 way, along with a siren or floodlights that can be triggered via phone.
As far as picture quality goes, it’s good, and comparable to much higher priced options. Same with the night vision and sensors that overall, work very well.
However, where this system suffers is the software. There are some major, major problems with the phone apps, particularly the one for the iPhone and it almost renders this system unusable for some people. This is very similar to another similarly priced system from Uniden.
- 8 channel hard drive DVR (wired security system)
- Includes 4 1080p HD cameras, but expandable up to 8 cameras
- 1 TB hard drive
- Up to 100 feet night vision
- Full color daytime mode
- 100 degree field of view
- Free Night Owl HD app for iOS and Android devices
- Weather resistant cameras
- Heat detection system
- Dual sensor technology reduces false alarms
Where Can I Get It?
You can easily find this home security solution on Amazon. Check now for the best prices and also to see if this product is eligible for free shipping with a Prime membership:
What do People Think about It?
“Really easy to use and set up, plus it has all the customization that I need in this sort of device. Combine that with good picture quality and reasonable price and it’s clear that this one is a winner.”
“Camera setup is easy, and the picture quality is great. The only issue I have is with the phone app. Mine keeps freezing, restarting, etc. and there seems to be no real solution to it.”
“Had some huge problems with the software. I could never get this thing to work, either on my iPhone or computer. I paid a company to install this for me, and it was huge waste of money. In retrospect, I should have just stuck with a better product like Lorex Cameras.”
- Battery backup in case your power goes out (integrated)
- High-quality, 1080p recording
- Smart infrared technology helps to reduce unwanted notifications at night
- Could see reasonably clearly at night
- Push notifications to phone (if you can get the app to work!)
- 1 TB hard drive that can be upgraded to 3 TB
- Easy set up
- Some big issues with the iOS mobile app and no real solutions from technical support or customer service
- You have to run wires through your house (if you want a wireless option, consider Defender Security Cameras)
- No audio for the cameras (compare to something like the Swann Security System which has 2-way audio)
- Delay when connected phone app to DVR (often around 10 seconds)
- Live view function does not refresh automatically, and the images are in portrait mode
Night Owl Security Camera Review
Check out this short video for another take on Night Owl Surveillance Systems:
Compare Home Security Systems
If you’re looking for some of the top picks for home security systems, then you can check out our top choices here: The Best Home Security Systems. In reality, many of the other cameras on this list are similar in terms of night vision, picture quality and ease of installation.
However, where some of these other ones excel is in their software. It’s just far more user friendly and less prone to bugs and glitches than Night Owl. It’s for this reason that we recommend some of the other ones in this chart below:
How to Install Night Owl Cameras
The Takeaway on the Night Owl Surveillance Cameras
If you’re looking for the best in home or small business security, then this system from Night Owl probably isn’t your best bet. Although the price is certainly right, the mobile app is just too annoying to deal with. Sure, some people were able to get it up and running, but a lot of people weren’t
Upon contacting customer support, they seemed unable to offer any real solutions. Compare this to something like Lorex where the phone app just works seamlessly. There are very few problems, and it has a bunch of nice options so you can customize it to exactly what you want.
Shop Now for the Best in Home Security
Do you want to learn more about this security system? Head over to Amazon by clicking the button to learn more about it:
Have your Say about this Night Own Security Camera Review
What are your thoughts about Night Owl Security Systems? Leave a comment below and let us know.
Also be sure to give this article a share on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest. It’ll help other people, like yourself who are concerned about security find this useful resource.
Latest posts by Damon Kennedy (see all)
- Uniden Security Camera Review: An Affordable Option for Home Security? - July 5, 2019
- Smonet Security Camera Review: The Right Option for You? - July 3, 2019
- Battery Powered Security Camera: The Reolink Argus - July 3, 2019
Last update on 2019-07-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API