If you’re looking for a smart home security device, then you’ll certainly want to consider this one from Yi. Read our buying guide packed with information to help you decide if the Yi Security Camera is right for you.
Yi Home Camera Introduction
If you’re looking for an affordable home security solution, the Yi Home Camera may just fit the bill. It’s 1/4 the price of some of the more expensive options out there, but still has a ton of features that you’ll love, including motion detection alerts, 2-way audio, and card or cloud storage.
Multiple People and Cameras Under 1 Account
The thing we love best about Yi is that multiple people can use multiple cameras under 1 account. This is a very convenient way for everyone in your family to be able to keep an eye on a pet, check who’s at the front door, or watch for a crying baby at night. You could also use this camera to keep an eye on an expensive toy like a boat or trailer that’s in a storage facility.
- Optional 24/7 Emergency Response Service - YI's motion alerts and live video feeds are now equipped...
- 24/7 Full HD Recording - F/2.0 aperture, 112 wide-angle lens, 1080p/15fps to capture moments with...
- Enhanced Night Vision - 8 individual 940nm infrared LED's, which automatically turns on infrared...
- Activity Alerts - Baby Crying Detection and Motion Detection features use state-of-the-art...
- Cloud Storage - Supports YI Cloud to avoid the risk of losing footage from a microSD memory card,...
Reasonable Picture Quality
As far as the quality goes, you get what you pay for. In this case, video quality is reasonable, but many people report that the 2-way audio doesn’t really work that well. However, for the price? Most people are happy enough with it.
No Service Fees
Many cameras come with a monthly or yearly subscription fee. You may not think it’s that much, but it can actually add up to a significant amount over time.
The Yi camera—just pay for it once and use it forever. Love it? We sure do and love recommending products without hidden, recurring fees.
Along with the camera, you can get 7 day storage of activity alerts in the Yi Cloud without a microSD memory card or a Yi subscription. Or, you can use your use microUSB card up to 32 GB for local storage. It’s a nice solution for someone looking for an affordable indoor security camera.
Another camera that we recommend which also doesn’t have a subscription fee is the Blink XT Camera.
Easy Set Up
Most people find that the setup process is super easy and takes just a few minutes. You can connect it up to the Internet by downloading the free smartphone app. If you read the comments on Amazon, many people comment that this one is easier to set up than some of the competition.
For best results, be sure to read through the instruction manual. It’ll help you to avoid many of the troublesome parts of the process.
Yi Home App
The phone app is well-designed and we found the settings clear and easy to figure out. The design is simple and clean and you should be able to figure out what’s going on easily enough even on a small screen. Be sure to adjust the notifications to suit your security needs.
Viewing security footage is really easy to do, and the 2-way audio works really well. You’ll have the ability to see what’s going on in real-time, or get alerts when certain things happen.
It’s quite rare to get a pan and tilt enabled camera for something in this price range. The best news? It actually works. Besides that, the camera quality is great and the images and video are sharp and clear, even at night.
Wide Field of View
The Yi Cam captures a wide, 107 degree field of view. This is one area where home security devices vary considerably. As far as the Yi camera goes, it’s kind of middle of the pack and should suit most people’s purposes.
Buy the Yi Security Camera with Night Vision
The best place to find the Yi security camera is on Amazon. You can check it out for yourself there and you can often get free shipping with a Prime membership. Order one of the best digital security cameras today to keep your family safe and secure:
Features of the Yi Home Camera
- Full HD recording with wide angle view to cover the entire room
- Two-way audio via Wi-Fi connection
- Night vision which automatically turns on in low light
- Alerts for baby crying, and motion detection, along with 7 days of free storage in the cloud
- App allows up to 5 family members to view multiple cameras (4 live feeds) at any time, on the same account
- Supports up to a 32 GB memory card, or you can upgrade to storage in the cloud
- Baby crying technology
- Pan-tilt capability
- Can offer wireless IP security
- Baby crying detection
- 3D noise reduction
- 4x digital zoom
- Good customer support
All of this advanced technology comes in a small, affordable package! It’s one of the best choices in electronics.
Why Consider Getting this Viewing Device?
When you think surveillance camera, you probably think outdoor cameras that can keep an eye on things around your home. However, there are a number of reasons besides that why you might think it’s worth having an indoor camera. Here are just a few of them.
Keep a Close Eye on Elderly Parents
If you have elderly parents who are staying in their homes, you’d probably appreciate being able to check in with them easily throughout the day. The 2-way audio allows you to do this. All your parent has to do is come sit in front of the camera and you’ll be notified that they’re there.
The first accident that you’re there to witness of help with, will show you how important something like this is in preventing close calls.
Check in with Pet
Do your neighbours complain about your barking dog? Or, are you away from home all day and want to say hello to Fido? The Yi camera makes it easy to have access to your pet while you’re away at work via live feed.
Kids who are Home Alone
If you have kids who are alone for a few hours after school, you may want to consider an indoor security camera like this one. It’s peace of mind for the kids, as well as you. The two way audio makes it easy for you to communicate with them when you’re at work.
Away from Home for Work or Travel
You may want to consider one of these products if you’re away from home a lot. Keep an eye on things around the house so you can worry less and enjoy your trip more!
Keep Track of your Sleeping Baby
One of the features that we love about this camera is the baby crying detection. The advanced algorithms detect a crying baby within seconds. Then, you’ll get a notification to your Smartphone.
Plus, the night feature lets you view your sleeping baby at night without any LED or infrared glare to distract them or wake them up.
What’s in the Box with the Yi Smart Home Camera?
Along with the camera, you’ll get the following accessories:
- Power cord
- Quick connect sheet
- Window stickers
- Wall mount bracket
Find out more details about the Yi Home Camera in the video below:
Yi Security Camera Pros
There are a lot of reasons why you might want to consider the Yi Home Camera for your security needs. Just a few of the things we like include the following:
- Footage can be accessed by multiple smartphones on a single account
- Reasonably easy setup
- Various options for storing the data
- Alerts for crying babies, and motion
- Very affordable
- 107 degree viewing angle
- Automatic recordings and notifications
- Baby cry detection for parents
- Enhanced night vision capabilities
- Very affordable price
- Lens quality is decent, and produces a decent image even in low light conditions
- Home app works well with almost any mobile phone and is also easy to download
- Can be used with up to 32gb memory card
What People are Saying about the Yi Home Surveillance System
“Very easy to set up and the picture is quite good. My only real complaint is that the sound quality isn’t stellar, and it’s not easy to hear anything above the regular noises in the house. But, I’m very happy overall, especially when you consider the price.”
“I was recently bedridden due to a surgery, so I bought this thing. It enables me to see who’s at the front door and speak to them. Very useful and once I recover, I can see how useful it would be to record videos of this for while I’m on vacation or at work.”
“I got these so I could keep an eye on my dogs while I was at work, and they work great for that. The mobile app is awesome and easy to get all hooked up and running. Love my new toy, but it’s not exactly top of the line video quality. However, for the price? It’s pretty decent in terms of performance. That’s the bottom line.”
Yi Home Security Camera Cons
- The camera only records for a very short time-frame after motion is detected, and it’s difficult/impossible to change this feature, even with a micro SD card.
- The app has ads to up-sell additional storage options which some customers weren’t happy with.
- Some reports of difficultly connecting to the Wi-Fi network (on 5g).
- Not compatible with Alexa, like many of their competitors
- Limited to AC power source via the wall (not battery operated)
- The design practically screams “surveillance!”
- Some reports of limited tech support
- Very simple and not designed for outdoor use (for a more robust system, consider the Samsung Security Cameras)
No Battery Back-Up
One of the main negatives to this device is that it does not have a backup battery option. If you lose power at your house, you’ll lose recording capabilities.
Compare this to something like the Sens8 which has up to 2 hours of battery backup. Check out our review of this smart device here:
What You Don’t Get With It
There are a few features that I with the Yi Surveillance Camera came with. These include:
- Alarms or sirens in case of break-in
- Smoke and moisture detection alert
- Smart home integration
Of course for the price, what can you really expect? Certainly not every single thing under the sun. When you consider it’s well under a hundred bucks, we were very happy with it. You can easily set it up within minutes, and it works well enough.
How to Set up the Yi Security Camera:
Compare Indoor Wireless Security Cameras
Check out some of the options for security systems, in a range of price points:
Or, check out our reviews of two of the higher-end options for Wi-Fi Cameras.
For our money? We’d probably just spend a bit more to get a higher-quality camera with more features and customizable options. Our favourite of the two below is the SENS8.
Yi Camera vs. Wyze Smart Home Camera
Two of the lower end options for indoor security cameras are this one from Yi, and the Wyze Smart Home Camera. Which one is right for you?
We give the edge to the Wyze system. It’s usually a little bit cheaper, but just seems to work better. People like the video, as well as audio quality. There’s a 14-day, rolling storage in the cloud option that’s included for free.
The package includes a mounting kit that allows you to put it anywhere without screws. The main negative to the Wyze camera is the motion detection system. Some of the negative reviews mention the camera picking up a fly, but not a person.
You can check out the Wyze system for yourself over on Amazon:
The Takeaway on the Yi Home Camera
If you’re looking for an affordable device to keep an eye on your baby at night, or talk to your pet while you’re at work, the Yi Home Camera may just suit your needs. It’s far cheaper than some of their competitors but it works well enough that most people are pretty happy with it.
Audio and Video Quality: Good Enough
What you do miss out on are premium audio and video footage, but for the price, it’s good enough. We love that the motion detection feature works reasonably well, and also that you you have the option of cloud storage or SD card.
Easy Set Up
Most people find that the Yi Security System is easy to get up and running, even with multiple cameras and multiple users. The software on the App in intuitive and user-friendly. There’s a gold standard for this kind of thing, and Yi had exceeded it.
Where Can I Buy It?
Sounds like exactly what you need to keep your home and family safe, or check on pets or the baby? Check it out for yourself over on Amazon and don’t forget to look for deals that include free shipping:
Does Yi Make Outdoor Security Cameras?
- Optional 24/7 Emergency Response Service - YI's motion alerts and live video feeds are now equipped...
- Full HD video quality - high resolution Images in 1080P resolution, combined with a 110° lens and...
- Weather-resistant - outdoor cameras are waterproof, so you can use them for outdoor and indoor....
- First-class night vision - 12 infrared LED Beads provides a night time viewing distance of up to 50...
- Two-way audio - 360° noise-canceling hypersensitive microphone eliminates excess environmental...
Although most famous for their line of indoor cameras, Yi also makes some top-notch outdoor security cameras as well. Like their indoor one, it’s easy to set-up, works well for most people, runs off of Wi-Fi and is also quite affordable.
The major difference is that their outdoor cameras are waterproof and designed for indoor/outdoor use. They also come equipped with powerful night vision.
Want to find out more? Check out our full review here: Yi Outdoor Wi-Fi Security Cameras.
Yi Home Camera: Have your Say!
What are your thoughts about the Yi Security System? Leave a comment below and let us know what you think.
Also be sure to give this article a share on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest. It’ll help other people, like yourself who are concerned about security find this useful resource.
Latest posts by Damon Kennedy (see all)
- Q-See Camera Review: The Right Home or Business Security Solution? - August 6, 2019
- The Best Hidden Office Camera for Covert Monitoring - August 1, 2019
- How to Hide Security Cameras, Indoors and Outdoors - July 24, 2019
Last update on 2019-08-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API