The Amazon Cloud Cam is a great option if you’re looking for a smart home security camera. But there is one major issue we don’t like. It could be a deal breaker. Read our in-depth review and buying guide to see whether this smart cam is the best fit for your needs
Amazon Cloud Cam Security Camera, Works with Alexa
- Stay connected 24/7 - Catch activities as they happen in 1080p Full HD. Watch, download, and share...
- Notifications – Get notified when Cloud Cam sees activity. Check in anytime or watch motion clips...
- See clearly in the dark - Night vision lets you detect what’s happening around the clock. Turn...
- Two-way audio - Check in with the family or tell your dog to stop barking.
- 30-day free trial of Cloud Cam Plans – Get Smart Alerts and advanced features like person and...
Amazon Cloud Cam Security Camera Review
If you’re looking for a simple security camera to protect your home, business, boat or cabin, then this one from Amazon makes a nice choice. The thing we love most is how easy it is to set-up. You just plug it in, download the phone app and then you’re up and running.
This surveillance camera from Amazon is very affordable, and is one of the cheaper options out there. Quality doesn’t suffer though, and our guess is that the company makes most of their money from the subscription model that comes along with it.
And that is our biggest problem with this model, though it certainly won’t be an issue for everyone. You get a top of the line camera for a reasonable price, and the cloud packages are decently priced for what you get.
As far as the camera goes, it’s high in quality and the picture and audio are excellent, even at night. New features are being added all the time, and we wouldn’t be surprised if this thing is the top-selling security camera within the next year or two.
The major downsides to the Amazon Cloud Camera are that recording doesn’t happen 24/7 and that you have to pay a monthly fee for cloud storage. Recording happens only with motion, and according to customers, it doesn’t happen instantly.
There are various packages for cloud storage for the footage from this camera, and the packages are all quite reasonably priced. The alternative is to get a more expensive home security system with a hard drive. Some people prefer this, others don’t. It’s up to you!
Key Features Of The Amazon Smart Security Camera
- Motion sensor alert, and the ability to check in anytime via a phone app or computer
- 1080 HD recording (30 frames per second)
- Night vision enabled (turn on/off via the phone app)
- Two way audio that allows you to talk to your pets, or family at home
- Cloud cam plans come with a 30 day free trial (after that, they are reasonably priced)
- Compatible with Alexa so you can see the footage on almost any Amazon device
- New features being announced all the time
- Save money when you buy more than 1 camera at a time
Buy The Amazon Cloud Cam Security Camera
The best place to buy Amazon products is on Amazon! You can check out this home or office security camera there:
- Reasonably priced for a home or office security system
- Easy to set up
- Can easily watch the footage on your phone or computer
- Compatible with Alexa
- High-quality audio and video, and night vision that works well.
- Recording only starts when motion activation happens. If you’re looking for 24/7 coverage, stick with something like the Lorex Security System.
- Monthly fee for cloud service
Amazon Cloud Cam Video Review
What People Are Saying About This Security Camera From Amazon
“I’m not a techie, and I found that this camera worked well for me. It was easy enough to set up and watch the footage through a phone app.”
“The Amazon camera has a nice resolution (I used it replace some older cameras), a nice wide angle view and some affordable cloud storage options. Overall, I’m very happy with the product, and service when I had an issue with it.”
“A few weeks after installing this security camera, I got an alert from the motion sensor feature. It turns out that someone was breaking into my hunting cabin. I called the police, and the guy as arrested. How’s that for value for the money?
How To Set Up The Amazon Cloud Camera
Many of the actual users of this product mention how easy it is to set up, especially when compared to some of the more complicated home or office surveillance systems. There are just a few simple steps to follow:
- Mount the camera on a wall using the included kit, or place it on a flat surface
- You can also place it on the ceiling and rotate the camera using the app
- Plug in the Amazon cloud cam security camera (via micro USD port)
- Connect to Wi-Fi using the cloud cam app
- Get alerts when motion is detected
Video: Unboxing And How To Set Up The Amazon Cloud Camera
Compare Home Or Office Surveillance Cameras
This cloud camera from Amazon works well, but it does not have a ton of features. Most notably, it only records when motion is sensed, and it does not start recording immediately at the time, but with a slight delay.
The other negative is that there is a monthly subscription fee for the cloud service. For some of the other systems, you can host the entire process yourself, saving you some money in the long-term.
Is There A Cheaper Alternative To The Amazon Cloud Camera?
If you’re looking to spend a bit less money on a smart home security device, then you’ll want to check out Wyze Wireless Security Camera. Prices vary, but it’s usually significantly less than this Amazon one.
Not only is the initial price cheaper, but there’s also no monthly subscription fee. The camera includes free, 14-day rolling cloud storage. Most people find that this meets their needs, but you can also add a memory card for more permanent storage of video footage.
As far as audio and video quality goes, the Wyze Smart Home Camera is almost as good as the Amazon one.
What you do lose out on with the cheaper price are a few things:
- Motion detection that really works (many reviewers mention that it doesn’t work that well)
- A phone app that is easy to use
- 2-way audio
Overall, if you just plan on using a smart home security camera to keep an eye on your pets or sleeping baby, this cheaper one should work fine. It’s easy enough to set up for most people and you likely won’t be dealing with the phone app all the time!
However, if you’re depending on it to keep your home, or expensive toys (boat or trailer in storage), then we recommend sticking with something like this one from Amazon that has more reliable motion detection. It’s your peace of mind after all.
You can learn more out the Wyze Wireless Smart Home Camera in our full review.
Can The Amazon Cloud Cam Be Hacked?
An excellent question is whether this home security device can be hacked. And, is that risk higher or lower than with other similar home security cameras.
In reality, just about anything that connects via the Internet can be hacked by someone with enough skill, time and motivation.
That said, it’s not easy to do. And, a burglar may not even know that you have one of these devices because it’s inside your home.
As far as how easy it is to hack the Amazon Cloud Cam, it’s not, and it’s similar to other brands of smart home security cameras. You can learn more here: Home Security Systems and Hacking.
Amazon Cloud Cam Home Security Camera Review: Conclusion
Overall, the Amazon Security Camera is a nice, affordable choice to protect your home, business, boat or cabin. It’s the easiest security camera to set up that we’ve ever seen, so if you’re not a techie, you’ll probably want to opt for this one.
If you think ordering stuff from Amazon is easy, then you’ll have much the same experience with this camera. It just works.
The picture quality is excellent, and we love the 2-way audio feature that allows you to talk to pets, or kids at home. The night vision works well, unlike with some of the cheaper security cameras on the market.
The things we don’t love? The subscription model, and the lack of 24/7 recording. However, you’ll have to spend double, triple or even more for full-fledged home security system to avoid this.
Is it worth it? Maybe yes, maybe no. It depends on your needs. For a simple set-up, stick with this one from Amazon. It works exactly as described with minimal hassle and fuss.
The best place to find the Amazon cloud cam security camera system is on Amazon (imagine that). Check it out for yourself by clicking the button below
Amazon Cloud Smart Cam: Your Thoughts!
What’s your top pick for a home or office security system? This one from Amazon fits the bill, or are you considering another brand? Leave a comment below and share your thoughts with us.
Last update on 2020-01-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API