Lorex by Flir is one of the most trusted names in home security and surveillance. They make some of the highest quality security cameras available today.
The best part?
Lorex cameras can be installed easily if you’re even just a little bit handy. And they’re just as easy to use.
Nevertheless, you may have some questions. You’re not alone. That’s why we decided to write this article answering the most common Lorex by Flir FAQ’s.
But if your questions concern whether Lorex cameras are right for you, you need to check out our Lorex Home Security System Review article instead. It answers those questions.
Lorex By Flir FAQ
The following frequently asked questions are the most common ones we get. If you have a question that is not addressed here, please feel free to leave a comment below with your question.
NVR Vs DVR
You may see NVR and DVR being thrown around when you’re doing some research about home or business security cameras. What do these terms mean? Let’s find out!
- NVR: Network Video Recorders are digital
- DVR: Digital Video Records are analog
While they offer much of the same in the way of functions, there are a few differences to be aware of.
- DVRs receive the video feed from analog security cameras, encode it and then store it on a hard drive.
- NVRs receive footage that is already encoded and compressed by the digital security camera
Learn More About DVR Vs NVR Receivers
How Many Cameras Can I Connect To My NVR Or DVR?
The number of cameras that you can connect depends on the number of available channels that you have. For example, if you have an 8 channel DVR, you can connect up to 8 cameras. Some common DVRs have 4,8,16 or 32 available spots.
Are Lorex Security Cameras Waterproof?
Most outdoor Lorex security cameras are weatherproof, and are rated to IP66. This Ingress Protection rating system indicates how resistant something is to dust or liquids.
A rating of 66 on this scale means that Lorex cameras are totally resistant to dust, and can withstand low pressure jets from any direction. This means that they’ll work in almost any climate or kind of conditions. Nevertheless, it is always better to install them in places that offer some protection from the weather.
Learn More About Lorex Weatherproof Security Cameras
Do Lorex Cameras Have Audio Capabilities?
Some Lorex cameras have a built in microphone that allows them to detect sound. This can be very useful to understand and interpret events that may occur off-screen.
However, please note that audio recording is not legal in every jurisdiction. Please check your local laws before enabling this feature on your home security system.
How Are The Surveillance Cameras Powered?
The way the camera is powered depends on the kind of camera you get. All Lorex cameras include a Siamese RG59 BNC cable. There is a split in the end with one part for power and the other for video.
The advantage to this is that you can plug MPX in near the DVR instead of next to the camera itself.
For an IP camera, you also don’t need to plug it in near the camera itself because they’re powered by the Ethernet cable that is connected to the NVR.
Wireless cameras do not mean that they don’t require power. It just means that there is no cable from them to the DVR. They do have to be plugged in to a power outlet near the camera.
What Is The Range Of A Wireless Camera?
Lorex wireless cameras have a range of 500 ft or 137 m, as long as there is a clear line of sight and they are outdoors. This is the distance between the camera and the receiver.
Indoors, you’ll have a lower range because there are walls that the transmission has to pass through.
For more details about one of these wireless cameras, check out: Lorex Wireless IP Camera with Pan-Tilt Review.
How Do You Install Them?
The good news is that most people are able to install Lorex home security systems by themselves, with a few tools and some handyman/handywoman skills. If you get stuck, the company has some excellent customer support. See how easy it is in this video.
Problems With Installation?
Are there any common problems that people have installing their Lorex security systems? You can check out some of them here: Lorex Installation Problems.
Do I Need An Internet Connection To Use Lorex Security Cameras?
A great question if you don’t have Wi-Fi at your home or business is whether or not these security devices will work. The answer is simple.
If you are using a wireless Lorex camera that’s connected to a hard drive, you don’t need an Internet connection.
Their IP cameras are enabled with basic functions without Internet. However, their full range of functions does require Internet.
Learn more here: Home Security Without Internet.
How Do I Set Up A DDNS With My Lorex Camera?
If you purchase a compatible product, you’re able to take advantage of Lorex’s DDNS (Dynamic Domain Name System). You must have the following to use the DDNS:
- A DVR/NVR connected to your network router with an Ethernet cable
- Port forwarding set up.
- A MAC address for the system. You can find this in either the networking menu or system information for your DVR/NVR.
- An account
If you’ve done all these things, head to the Lorex website and log in to your account. Click the DDNS tab and then the button to set up a new DDNS. Enter the information that you’ve compiled such as the MAC address, etc. Follow the rest of the prompts.
Go to your DVR/NVR and right click on the live view. Click the main menu, settings, network, and DDNS. Make sure you’ve enabled it, and then enter your new domain name. Follow the rest of the prompts. It may take between 10 and 30 minutes for the network to show.
REMINDER: Your DDNS may take 10-30 minutes to update with the network.
How To Set Up The Lorex DVR?
Please note that this process may vary slightly from device to device, so please check the included instructions for exact details on your specific product. However, the general process is very similar among all Lorex cameras and these instructions for the Eco Series cameras should work well for most people.
- Connect the cameras to the DVR and a power source using the adapter.
- Connect a monitor (not included) to the DVR. You can use an HDMI or VGA cable.
- After that, connect the DVR to your router using the Ethernet cable.
- Connect the wired mouse to the DVR using the USB port.
- Connect the DVR to a power source using the adapter.
- Turn the DVR on.
Please note that these cameras require the latest firmware. If there is an updated, you will have to update it. Click yes and then enter the required information (username/password) which can be found in the user manual (usually admin/000000). Leave the power on throughout this process.
After this is done, you can connect your camera to the Lorex phone app for Android or iPhone (if compatible).
How To Reset A Lorex DVR
The process may be slightly different from camera to camera, but these steps should get you started if you want to reset your DVR to default settings:
- Right click the live view to see the quick menu
- Click main menu and then settings
- Click default
- Check the menus you want to be resorted to the default setting
- Follow the rest of the prompts
How To Reset Admin Password On Lorex DVR
If you want to change the password on your DVR, then you can follow these simple steps.
- Right click to see the menu and then click the main menu button. Enter the default username (admin) and password (000000). Or, whatever you changed it to at some point in time.
- Find the system and then users tab.
- Select the checkbox next to admin and click edit.
- Enter desired username/password and then confirm the password.
If you have forgotten your password, you’ll have to call Lorex technical support for a password reset. For security purposes, there is no way that you’re able to do this on your own.
How To View Recorded Video?
If you’ve connected your Lorex cameras via phone app, it’s very simple to view recorded video. We’re assuming that you’ve already done the following:
- Installed the phone app (Android or iPhone)
- Set up the app
To take a look at recorded video, you can do the following:
- Launch the app and press remote playback
- Choose the date and then select which channel
- The playback will begin with the earliest recording. Use the controls on the screen to scroll through the footage, take a snapshot, slow or fast forward, zoom, etc.
Who Makes Lorex Cameras?
You may be wondering who’s behind the company that makes Lorex security systems. They are a security company based in Canada who distribute a wide range of security cameras, including baby monitors online and through retailers. They’re ideal for home or small businesses.
Lorex was founded in 1991 by Bernard Klein, bought by Strategic Vista International in 1996, and then bought again by FLIR systems in 2012. FLIR is well known for making thermal imaging cameras.
Lorex FLIR Cloud: What’s The Deal?
Some Lorex cameras are compatible with the Lorex Secure App designed for smartphones and tablets. It’s user-friendly, and also capable of doing a ton of things.
If your device is compatible with this app, then you’ll also have a free cloud subscription. By default, it’s channel 1 on your DVR/NVR.
With this plan, you’ll have cloud storage to a maximum of 10GB (limited to 2 days) and video history for motion detection for 1 camera. You do have the option to upgrade to a premium cloud subscription plan (currently $6.99 per month) to get more storage for up to 30 days, and to use it for more than 1 camera.
How Do I Get The Lorex Firmware Update?
Please check here for the specific firmware updates for your product.
Lorex Port Forwarding: What Is It And How Do I Set It Up?
Port forwarding is necessary if you want to tell your router which device on your internal network to send external traffic to. Basically, traffic is taken from an external IP address and the data is then sent to an internal IP address.
Basically, it allows external devices to have access to an internal network. If you want to have access to footage on an NVR or DVR from your mobile phone for example, then you’ll likely need to set this up.
If you want to set up port forwarding on your home security network, you’ll have to open up some specific ports on your NVR or DVR. Take a look at the included user manual to find out which specific ports these area.
Here’s how you set up port forwarding with Lorex cameras:
- Make sure that you have the IP address of your hard drive, as well as the routers Gateway IP address, as well as router login information.
- Make sure that your NVR/DVR is connected to the same router as your computer and that you know the MAC address of it.
- Go to a web browser and enter the Gateway IP address to log into your router.
- Find the port forwarding settings (not same as port triggering) and then configure rules for your port (name/IP of NVR/DVR, specific port, and TCP/UDP or both for the protocol).
- Enable and save.
- Find the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol reservation settings and set it up using the IP address and MAC address of your hard drive. This makes sure that you don’t lose your settings in case of power loss.
Video: How To Set Up Port Forwarding For Lorex Cameras
Lorex FAQ: Any Additional Questions?
Do you have a burning question about Lorex home security systems that you’d like answered? Leave a comment below and we’ll do our best to help you out.
Also be sure to give this article a share on Facebook, Pinterest, or Twitter. It’ll help other Lorex enthusiasts, like yourself find this useful resource.
- A Guide To Protecting the Elderly Online - September 14, 2021
- Imou Security Camera Review: For Complete Peace of Mind - August 5, 2021
- Guide To Anonymous Browsing - July 15, 2021