Sliding glass doors are a nice feature to have in your home, but they are also one of the places that criminals target. Keep on reading our buying guide to learn more about how to keep your home secure and safe with a sliding glass door lock.
Safety and security is our business.
Check out our picks for the best sliding door locks:
- Prime Line Patio Door Loop Lock
- Keyed Door Locking System
- Glass Vibration or Breaking Alarm
- CRL Mortise Door Lock System
- Cal Security Double Bolt Lock
- Slide-Co Sliding Lock
- Patio Door Latch
- 3m Adhesive Sliding Door Lock
- Door Frame Lock from Cardinal Gates
Read more…we’ll help you choose the right one for your needs, including the strongest stainless steel options.
Why you Need a Sliding Glass Door Safety Latch on your Patio Window
What could be a more beautiful enhancement to any home or office space than a sliding glass door? A great addition to your home or office, sliding doors are inviting. They bring warmth to your home or office, and welcome guests.Unfortunately, they are inviting to burglars too.
Protect your Home With a Sliding Glass Door Smart Lock
Having the proper lock is essential to protect your home and business.
It’s time to go further. When making your home and office secure having the proper sliding glass door lock is essential.
Rest Easy for your Home or Business
Knowing the dangers of patio doors when unsecured, understanding the technology in the home and office security and using your sliding patio door properly will allow you the peace of mind to enjoy your home or office.
Learn More About the Best Way to Secure a Sliding Glass Door
The bad news first. Without proper security, sliding glass doors can be a beautiful, but dangerous, addition to your home. Keep on reading for everything you need to know about sliding glass door keyless locks. Or, take a look at our chart that compares some of the top brands.
Compare Patio Door Smart Locks
Understand The Dangers of a Sliding Patio Door
Unfortunately one of the nicest enhancements to your home or office comes with a degree of danger. Sliding glass doors can welcome criminals and be dangerous in the event of an emergency.
Open the police department’s crime summary or crime log in your local newspaper and you’re bound to find warnings like this one picked at random: Don’t let this be you. With violent crime rates escalating in the United States there is no better time to take every precaution when caring for your assets, your home, your employees, and most importantly, your family.
Sliding doors can be a hindrance to exiting your home of office in the event of an emergency. Traditional locks and security methods create unnecessary barriers to exiting in a secure manner.
Sliding Door Locks: Safe and Easy to Use
However, the benefits of installing the proper sliding glass door lock in your home or office is that they are safer, easier to use, and more secure.
Today’s technology offers a variety of products for sliding glass door smart locks that will help keep criminals away while allowing your family and employees to exit rapidly in the event of an emergency.
Today’s Technology: More Advanced
Since technology has revolutionized every aspect of home security, it’s safe to say they have benefited as well. New to sliding glass door lock technology? There are many aspects of new technology that will help protect your home and office.
How to Install Locks for Sliding Glass Doors
Capitalize on Technology with your Sliding Glass Door Safety Latch
So many clients invest in surveillance cameras and alarm systems and neglect one of the most basic entrances to their home or office. Their patio door lock is antiquated and is inviting disaster.
Cutting edge technology for a home alarm system won’t help if your ancient method of using old locks and makeshift barriers can’t keep your home as safe as possible. Often the sliding glass door is the favorite entrance and exit of employees and family members.
Piece of Wood: Not Ideal
Or, it’s so barricaded security measures have made the door unusable and dangerous in the event of an emergency. We’ve all seen this. Enter a home or office with cutting edge camera systems and the sliding glass door is held secure with a piece of scrap wood.
Luckily, advances in technology have made the newest ones easy to use and secure. They are made from steel, aluminum or other similar strong materials. They can handle some force being put upon them and have a high breaking point.
How long have we been using keyless technology to keep our cars and trucks safe? Isn’t the security of your home or office just as important?
Or even more so?
Using digital keypads allows users to lock or unlock your lock from inside or outside the building. As a result, doors are less likely to be left unlocked.
Plus, you don’t have to worry about misplacing your key! Trust us, nobody likes trying to find that all-important key in case of emergency.
Stronger Than Ever
Stronger than typical locks, these locks offer a more secure solution for your home or office. And if you still have the difficult to use and unsecure traditional locks, the new technology will astound you.
Integrated into security systems, this capability makes the best use of each of your home and office security investments.
Also, if you have invested in wireless security systems for your home and office why not employ this technology for your door locks? Protect your windows the smart way.
Wireless is the Way
When protecting your home and business– your family and your assets– you already know that wireless is the way to go. But investing in security cameras is unfortunately not enough.
New technology is on its way to make your door lock integrated with smartphone technology and apps. What could be more secure than to invest in the very best technology has to offer?
Once installed, your new sliding door locks will offer a number of benefits to your family and employees.
Defender Sliding Door Loop Lock
Defender Security U 9846 Patio Sliding Door Loop Lock - Increase Home Security, Install Additional...
- SECONDARY SECURITY LOCKING DEVICE - This U 9846 Patio Sliding Door Loop Lock can be used on a patio...
- CHILD-SAFE SECURITY DEVICE - This door loop lock can also be installed out of reach of children so...
- EASY INSTALLATION - Installation is quick and easy - additional security for your home or office...
- DURABLE CONSTRUCTION - This door loop lock has a hardened steel locking bar with diecast constructed...
- PRODUCT INFO - This locking device features a 1-1/8" reach, which is designed to secure the door to...
This heavy-duty lock with reliable loop structure is the perfect way to keep your home or business safe. Although it does require a few tools for setup, it’s a serious physical barrier for anyone who may be trying to gain access somewhere that they shouldn’t.
Key Features of the Prime-Line Door Lock:
- Nickel plated steel locking rod
- Secures the door to the jam
- Chrome plated stainless steel (very strong!)
- Positive interior lock
- Available in two sizes for added flexibility when installing it
- The company makes a variety of top-quality door handle locks
“Very easy to install in a few minutes, and also quite secure. It’d work equally well for keeping toddlers inside, or the bad guys outside. Overall, a very nice product that does exactly what it says it’ll do: secure your patio door.”
Where Can I Buy It?
The easiest place to find this item is on Amazon. You can check out all the options for yourself on Amazon, and you’ll often get free shipping with a Prime membership. Orders yours today:
Supply Guru Keyed Door/Window Lock
Sliding Door and Window Lock Aluminum (Patio Door Lock - Keyed)
- Surface Mounted Design
- Key Locking Feature
- Used on patio doors, sheds and utility doors
- Easy to Install
Another excellent option is a keyed door lock. These things prevent intruders from jiggling a lock loose. The way it works is that you bolt it onto on your door, and the movable pin locks it into the frame. Most people can install this lock system in just a few minutes.
The key feature adds an extra element of security to it because there’s really not way to get it open without this. However, in case of fire or something similar, be sure to have the key handy and in a location that every household member knows.
- Surface mounted
- Comes with a key included
- For doors, sheds, a barn, etc.
- Easy installation with a few simple tools
- Requires a half turn to lock and unlock
“It’s very durable and easy to put in. And it’s easy enough to remove if you’re only using it temporarily. Great value for something that actually works. I’ve tried some of those quick release ones but never had much luck with them.”
Where to Get this Sliding Glass Door Lock?
You can check out this popular device on Amazon:
Glass Break Security Alarm Sensor
Window Alarm 4 Packs - Loud 120dB Alarm and Vibration Sensors Compatible with Virtually Any Window -...
- 4 Packs Ultra-thin Window Security Alarm, built-in sensor detects vibration and emits a 120 dB alarm...
- Unique high/low sensor sensitivity setting, to helps prevent false alarms.
- Red warning LED light blinks every 4 seconds, to caution would-be intruder of the window's...
- Low battery warning, remind that you need to replace the battery, will not miss the safety...
- No wiring needed, simply peel and stick the alarm on any window or glass. Perfect for any window...
This is another device that is not a substitute for a lock or bar system. However, despite not being a physical barrier, it can still prove to be a very effective deterrent.
It’s very easy to set up, and a loud alarm will go off should the unit detect glass breaking. It will hopefully be enough to deter burglars, but is really only useful if there are lots of people around to hear it!
- Comes in a 4-pack
- Ultra-thin window alarm
- Built in sensor detects both vibrations and breakage (high/low sensitivity option to prevent false alarms)
- Loud 120 dB alarm
- Blinking red LED light to deter bad guys
- Low battery indicator
- Peel and stick installation
- Requires 2 AAA batteries per detector (not included)
- Long battery life
“These things are pain-inducing loud and I love the blinking light feature, which most other window sensors don’t have. They are small and thin, and I love the AAA batteries which I always having around the house, instead of those watch battery ones that some other units use. I generally have mine of the low sensitivity option and it works well.”
Where to Buy It?
Sounds like exactly what you need to keep your home, office or business safe? You can check them out for yourself on Amazon:
What about a Patio Door Security Bar?
Ideal Security SK110W SK110 Patio Door Security Bar Child-Proof Lock, Adjustable 26-47 inches for...
- The best sliding door security bar according to Business Insider!
- Includes our new childproof Anti-Lift Lock
- ADJUSTABLE: Easily slides from 25.75" to 47.5" to for easy installation without cutting. Lets you...
- QUICK & EASY INSTALLATION ON MOST PATIO DOORS: Install on either the inside or outside track (see...
- NOT A PRESSURE-MOUNTED BAR: Pressure-mounted bars can shake loose and fall. The SK110 patio door...
If you’re looking to keep your home or office safe, and in particular the patio door, then you’ll need to also consider a security bar. When installed correctly, they physically prevent the door from being slid open, whether by kids or a burglar.
This security bar from Ideal Security is one of our top picks and is a nice add to any home. Here are a few of the features that you’ll love.
Features of the this Patio Door Bar
Here are all the details you’ll want to know:
- Adjustable 25-48 inches for ventilation and easy installation without cutting
- Child proof lock
- Can install on either the inside, or outside track on most patio doors with a few basic tools
- Saddle screws into the frame, so doesn’t rely on pressure (these kind can shake loose with enough rattling)
- Designed to mount mid-door, so you don’t have to bend over to adjust it or take it off
- Clearly visible through the door to act as a deterrent
- Bar pivots up to unlock it, which is easier than having to pull it loose
- Ideal if you have a screen as well
Where Can I Buy It?
You can shop now on Amazon. Shipping is often free with Amazon Prime:
Check out this Adhesive Sliding Door Lock
CRL Mortise Lock for Sliding Glass Patio Doors, Round End Face Plate, 4-5/8" Screw Holes, 45176;...
- 45 Degree Keyway
- 4-5/8" Screw Holes
If you’re looking for a low-tech solution, you might want to consider this sliding door lock from 3M. It’s very affordable, requires no tools or drilling to install and is perfect for not letting kids or pets out, while keeping the bad guys out.
- Works for securing closets, doors, sliding doors and windows
- 3M adhesive is used instead of drilling
- Can stop, or limit how far you can open a door or window
- One hand use, and can disengage in seconds
- Very reasonably priced
- Sticks to all kinds of surfaces
Not for Security But…
Please note that the company explicitly states that this device is not for home security. In our experience, it’s easier to dislodge than these other options we’ve mentioned. However, it does require significant force and is certainly better than nothing for your sliding door.
What do People Think About It?
“I’m very happy with this product. I spent weeks doing research about how to secure my patio door without drilling or damaging it. This turned out to be the ultimate solution and my house feels way more secured now.”
“Love the clear plastic that doesn’t draw a ton of attention to itself. It’s very simple, but it just works and only one is needed to secure two patio windows.
Where Can I Buy It?
You can shop online here for this quality security device. Shipping is often free with Amazon Prime:
Consider Using a Door Alarm
Wsdcam Door Alarm Wireless Anti-Theft Remote Control Door and Window Security Alarms
- Arm/Disarm/Panic/Doorbell mode controlled by the remote
- Magnetically triggered alarm suitable for Doors or Windows
- More alarms and remotes available for pairing
- Detering thieves effectively by 105dB loud alarm
- Simple peel and stick installation
Although it’s not a physical barrier like a sliding glass door lock, a door alarm can be equally effective at deterring criminals, particularly if you live in a busy, crowded area. In a remote location, if nobody can hear the alarm then it won’t work well for you.
The advantage to this door alarm from Wsdcam is that installation is very easy. It’s actually the simplest of any of the items on the list, you just have to peel and stick. Then, you can control it by remote (arm/disarm/panic/doorbell).
- 4 modes controlled via remote (49 foot range)
- Works magnetically
- Suitable for doors, patio doors and windows
- 105 dB alarm
- Requires 2 AAA batteries (not included), remote needs 1 12V battery
- Long battery life (about a year)
- Good customer service and easy returns
“It’s very loud, and also easy to install. I find that the remote coverage is not problem in a 3000 square foot house. The only small negative is the kind of confusing instructions when you’re getting started. But once you make it past that, you’ll love this thing.”
Where Can I Get It?
Does it sound like the device that you need? You can shop now on Amazon:
CAL Smart Locks for Sliding Glass Doors
CAL Lock Smart Bolt Lock Sliding Door Latch Heavy Duty Steel Surface Double Security Pin Locking...
- Child Safety - The most secure and easiest way to prevent your children from wandering outside the...
- High Security - Has been tested to provide over 1000 lbs. of Forced Entry Load Tension, preventing...
- The Bolt Lock sleek, aesthetic, and low profile design helps fit easily within the limited space...
- Works in the middle junction of most double sliding doors. Impact sliding glass doors and windows...
- 100% Percent Guarantee or Will Buy It Back.
Another option to keep your home and family safe is this sliding door smart lock from Cal. It’s basically a heavy-duty, double security pin that is very, very difficult for would-be burglars to break into. In fact, they’re probably see this on your patio door and not even try!
- Double bolt lock body
- Ideal for preventing small children from leaving the house
- Can withstand up to 1000 pounds of forced entry load tension (prevents people from lifting the patio door out of the tracks
- Low profile design
- Fits into the middle junction of the vast majority of patio doors
- Money-back guarantee
- Available in white, black, or grey
Customer Reviews for this Sliding Glass Door Lock
“Not always easy to find this thing, but it should be standard for anyone with little children in their house. Or, someone who lives in a neighbourhood where crime in an issue. The instructions could be better, but despite that, it’s easy enough to install as long as you take your time and think through how it works.”
“Excellent, unobtrusive security device. Take your time before you get out the drill though and really think it through. There are some good YouTube videos to help you with this.”
“Super secure and I found that I started to sleep better at night once I installed them. I know, it seems crazy but it’s actually true!”
Order Yours Today
Does it sound like the right sliding pin lock for your door? You can easily find it on Amazon.com. Check now for the best prices:
Cardinal Gates Door Guardian
The Original White Door Guardian, Since 2010. Do Not Be Fooled by Imitators.
- Works on inswinging doors
- Helps prevent unwanted exiting from the home
- Rugged metal construction
- 12x stronger than a deadbolt resists forced entry
- Available in white, brass, satin chrome, antique brass, satin nickel
If you want a lock that attaches to your door frame and serves as both a childproofing device and simple security system, the Door Guardian might be the right choice for you. It does a great job at preventing your young children from getting out, while keeping intruders out.
- Works on doors that swing inwards
- Heavy duty solid metal construction
- 12x stronger than a deadbolt
- Available in white, brass, satin chrome, antique brass, or satin nickel
- Resists forced entry into your home
- Very easy operation (from locked to unlocked) with parts that fit well together
- Slide out and swing open to access the door
“Very strong and works really well, even when the trim is not flat. It’s a cheap way to get some peace of mind for a door that you think may not be that secure.”
Shop Now for this Sliding Glass Door Lock
You can easily find this affordable door frame lock online. Check now for the best prices and also to see if this product is eligible for free shipping with an Amazon Prime membership. Order yours today:
Sliding Glass Door Weaknesses
There are a few patio door weaknesses that you should know about.
#1: Simple Latches on the Door Handle
Think you’re good about always locking your patio door? It may not be enough. If the latch is too simple, a burglar can unlatch it by just jiggling your door. It may not even take that much force to do this and it can also be broken quite easily even without a lot of force being applied.
This problem is easily prevented with a more secure locking system. You don’t necessarily need keys, but you do need something that can withstand a bit more force than the average patio door.
#2: They’re Hidden Away from View
Most people have patio doors for a basement suite, or in their backyard. This means that they’re hidden from view and they can make an easy target for criminals. This makes it all the more important to secure them properly.
#3: You Can See Through Them
Criminals love to see what they’re getting. A wallet sitting on the counter? A brand new laptop that they can easily grab and run with? A cabinet full of liquor.
Keep your blinds closed when not at home please!
#4: They’re Easy to Break
A small hammer is usually all it takes to break a patio door. This is why an alarm, or security system is all the more important to keep your home or business safe.
Compare Sliding Patio Door Locks
Check out our top picks in this handy comparison chart below:
Enjoy Your Patio Door Lock
Luckily advances in technology have made the newest sliding door lock choices easy to use and secure. Rather than stuck behind unwieldy barriers, your family and employees will use your sliding glass doors frequently and safely.
Isn’t that what doors are for? To be used?
As long as they aren’t used by criminals!
Keep Safe with a Sliding Glass Door Lock
By now we have all heard the devastating story of Tamika McClelland, whose ex-boyfriend smashed through her sliding glass door and set her home on fire moments after her children escaped.
This is only one of many tragedies that could easily be avoided with the same investment in security most direct to other aspects of their home or office.
The joy that comes with keeping your home or office safe will help you enjoy the space.
Easy to Use on your Window
Since these new glass door locks are easier to use than traditional locks, and since many offer wireless enhancements, you will be making the greatest use of your facilities’ assets. When combined with wireless technology and remote apps users can activate their locks from anywhere.
Not only are these new door locks easy to use, they are easy to upgrade to.
Also Consider a Door Jammer or Door Brace
Another thing to consider for your home or business is a door jammer. The way it works is that it protects your front or back door from being forced open. You slide the portable door jammer under the door and adjust it. Then, it protects against up to 110 pounds of external force.
It’s a nice way to add a bit of peace of mind, and it’s also ideal for traveling. You can check out one of our top picks here:
Forart Portable Door Lock Brace for Home Security and Personal Protection Easy-Step Door...
- The lock is a portable door lock that installs and remove in seconds without any tools required.
- The innovative system of hinges and angles anchor the firmly to floors when outside pressure is...
- The lock is a unique, new and innovative portable door security device for anyone needing privacy...
- The adjustable foot, situated at the end of the hinged leg, allows the lock to be installed on any...
- This revolutionary security device installs in seconds, creating a vertical force against outside...
If you want a stronger, more permanent solution, then consider opting for a security door brace. It can withstand up to 3000 pounds, even from a battering ram. Although it does require installation, it’s a nice, permanent home security solution.
Security Door Brace | Door Barricade | Prevents Home Invasions & Burglaries | OnGARD Withstands up...
- THE STRONGEST DOOR BARRICADE IN THE WORLD.
- The OnGARD Withstands up to 3000 Lbs of Violent Force (Testing Available)
- Self-Install in Under 10 Minutes.
- Lifetime Warranty
- Praised by Locksmiths & Law Enforcement Nationwide
Have your Say about Sliding Door Locks
What’s your top security tip?
Do you use a patio door lock? Any preferred brand, or something that you look for?
Also be sure to give this article a share on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest. It’ll help other people, like yourself who are concerned about keeping their home and family safe find this useful resource.
Latest posts by Jackie Bolen (see all)
- Ongard Door Brace Review: Added Security For Home, Office, Or Business - August 2, 2019
- Safest Cities in the USA: The Top 7 Places to Move To - September 26, 2018
- Home Safety Tips: The Top 20 | Safety Rules at Home - September 25, 2018
Last update on 2019-09-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API