Sliding glass doors are a great feature to have in your home.
But they are also dangerous.
They are generally one of the easiest places to gain entry, making them a prime target for burglars.
The reason for that are those weak little locks sliding doors tent to have. It doesn’t take much strength to simply pry those open.
The solution: a stronger lock. There are tons of options out there, but you want to make sure you get one that actually works. Even better if it also sells for a reasonable price.
We’ve gone through all the options and found the best sliding door locks on the market. We included numerous different types, so you should find something that fits your needs.
Let’s check them out.
Locks For Sliding Doors Compared
Best Sliding Door Locks Reviewed
The following are the best options to secure your sliding doors. We made sure to include a number of different styles, so that there is a great solution for any need.
Defender Security U 9846 Sliding Door Loop Lock
Defender Security U 9846 Patio Sliding Door Loop Lock – Increase Home Security, Install Additional...
- SECONDARY SECURITY LOCKING DEVICE – This U 9846 Patio Sliding Door Loop Lock can be used on a...
- CHILD-SAFE SECURITY DEVICE - This door loop lock can also be installed out of reach of children so...
- EASY INSTALLATION - Installation is quick and easy – additional security for your home or office...
- DURABLE CONSTRUCTION – This door loop lock has a hardened steel locking bar with diecast...
- PRODUCT INFO - This locking device features a 1-1/8 inch reach, which is designed to secure the door...
This heavy-duty lock with reliable loop structure is the perfect way to keep your home or business safe. It does require a few tools for setup, but it’s a serious physical barrier for anyone who may be trying to gain access somewhere that they shouldn’t.
Key Features Of The Defender Door Lock
- Nickel plated steel locking rod
- Secures the door to the jam
- Chrome plated stainless steel (very strong!)
- Positive interior lock
- Available in two sizes for added flexibility when installing it
- The company makes a variety of top-quality door handle locks
“Very easy to install in a few minutes, and also quite secure. It’d work equally well for keeping toddlers inside, or the bad guys outside. Overall, a very nice product that does exactly what it says it’ll do: secure your patio door.”
Where Can I Buy It?
The easiest place to find this item is on Amazon. You can check out all the options for yourself and also get the current price.
Supply Guru Keyed Door/Window Lock
Another excellent option is a keyed door lock. These things prevent intruders from jiggling a lock loose. The way it works is that you bolt it onto on your door, and the movable pin locks it into the frame. Most people can install this lock system in just a few minutes.
The key adds an extra element of security to it because there’s really not way to get it open without it. However, in case of fire or something similar, be sure to have the key handy and in a location that every household member knows. For that reason, we generally only recommend a keyed lock if you want to be able to unlock it from the outside.
- Surface mounted
- Comes with a key included
- For doors, sheds, a barn, etc.
- Easy installation with a few simple tools
- Requires a half turn to lock and unlock
“It’s very durable and easy to put in. And it’s easy enough to remove if you’re only using it temporarily. Great value for something that actually works. I’ve tried some of those quick release ones but never had much luck with them.”
Where To Get It
You can check out this popular device on Amazon.
Ideal Security Inc SK110 Patio Door Security Bar
Ideal Security Sliding Door Security Bar with Childproof Lock, Adjustable, for Patio Doors and...
- Sliding Door Lock: This sliding door security bar with a childproof lock acts as a visual deterrent...
- Adjustable Security Bar: This sliding door lock easily extends from 15.7 to 26.75 inches and can be...
- Perfect For Patio Door & Pet-Door Installation: The incremental lock adjustment allows you to...
- Indoor Security: The patio door security bar and saddle are screwed into the door frame and profile,...
- Comfortable Height: This door blocker mounts in the middle of the door, allowing you to install it...
If you’re looking to keep your home or office safe, and in particular the patio door, then you might want to consider a security bar. When installed correctly, they physically prevent the door from being slid open, whether by kids or a burglar.
This security bar from Ideal Security is one of our top picks and is a nice add to any home. It is a low-tech and inexpensive way to effectively prevent any unwanted guests from getting in.
Features Of This Patio Door Bar
Here are all the details you’ll want to know:
- Adjustable 25-48 inches for ventilation and easy installation without cutting
- Child proof lock
- Can install on either the inside, or outside track on most patio doors with a few basic tools
- Saddle screws into the frame, so doesn’t rely on pressure (these kind can shake loose with enough rattling)
- Designed to mount mid-door, so you don’t have to bend over to adjust it or take it off
- Clearly visible through the door to act as a deterrent
- Bar pivots up to unlock it, which is easier than having to pull it loose
- Ideal if you have a screen as well
Where Can I Buy It?
You can shop now on Amazon. Click below for more info and the current price.
Burglabar Adhesive Sliding Door Lock
The Burglabar Adhesive lock is the easiest solution on this list. Simply peel off the cover and stick it to the sliding glass door. Of course, it is not as strong as other options, but it is still rated to withstand 300 to 450 pounds of pressure. The manufacturer recommends using two per sliding door.
- Works for securing sliding doors and windows
- Adhesive is used instead of drilling
- Can stop, or limit how far you can open a door or window
- One hand use, and can disengage in seconds
- Very reasonably priced
- Sticks to all kinds of surfaces
- Can withstand 300 – 450 pounds
What Do People Think About It?
“I’m very happy with this product. I spent weeks doing research about how to secure my patio door without drilling or damaging it. This turned out to be the ultimate solution and my house feels way more secured now.”
“Love the clear plastic that doesn’t draw a ton of attention to itself. It’s very simple, but it just works.
Where Can I Buy It?
The easiest place to buy the Burglabar adhesive lock is on Amazon. Click below for more info and the current price.
CAL Lock Smart Bolt Lock
CAL Double Bolt Lock - Sliding Patio Door Locks - Child Proof Sliding Door Lock with Anti Lift...
- The CAL Double Bolt Lock is the most secure and easiest way to prevent your children from wandering...
- ✔️INCREASES THE SAFETY OF CHILDREN: Keeping an eye on small children no longer needs to be a...
- ✔️UNIVERSAL FIT: The lock comes with the hardware needed to fit most sliding glass doors with a...
- ✔️NO NEED TO WASTE HOURS OF SETTING UP : The lock's Intelligent design makes it EASY TO INSTALL...
- ✔️100% MONEY-BACK GUARANTEED & LIFETIME WARRANTY: Our customer's satisfaction is our main...
Another option to keep your home and family safe is this sliding door smart lock from Cal. It’s basically a heavy-duty, double security pin that is very, very difficult for would-be burglars to break into. In fact, they’ll probably see this on your patio door and not even try!
- Double bolt lock body
- Also great for preventing small children from getting outside
- Can withstand up to 1000 pounds of forced entry load tension (prevents people from lifting the patio door out of the tracks
- Low profile design
- Fits into the middle junction of the vast majority of patio doors
- Money-back guarantee
- Available in white, black, or grey
“Not always easy to find this thing, but it should be standard for anyone with little children in their house. Or, someone who lives in a neighbourhood where crime in an issue. The instructions could be better, but despite that, it’s easy enough to install as long as you take your time and think through how it works.”
“Excellent, unobtrusive security device. Take your time before you get out the drill though and really think it through. There are some good YouTube videos to help you with this.”
“Super secure and I found that I started to sleep better at night once I installed them. I know, it seems crazy but it’s actually true!”
Order Yours Today
Does it sound like the right bolt lock for your door? You can find it on Amazon.com. Check now for the current price.
Why You Need A Sliding Glass Door Safety Latch On Your Patio Door Or Window
What could be a more beautiful enhancement to any home or office space than a sliding glass door? A great addition to your home or office, sliding doors are inviting. They bring warmth to your home or office, and welcome guests.Unfortunately, they are inviting to burglars, too.
Without proper security, sliding glass doors can be a beautiful, but dangerous, addition to your home. Keep on reading for everything you need to know about sliding glass door keyless locks.
Protect Your Home With A Sliding Glass Door Smart Lock
Having the proper lock is essential to protect your home and business.
Bone of those precautions are all that useful, if you sliding doors are easy to get into. To make your home or office secure, having the proper sliding glass door lock is essential.
Rest Easy Knowing Your Home Or Business Are Protected
Knowing the dangers of patio doors when unsecured, can lead to constant worrying when you are not around. Making sure your sliding patio door is properly secured will allow you the peace of mind you enjoy knowing your belongings are safe and secure, even when you are not around.
Sliding Door Locks: Safe And Easy To Use
The benefits of installing the proper sliding glass door lock in your home or office is that they are safer, easier to use, and more secure.
Today’s technology offers a variety of products for sliding glass door locks that will help keep criminals away while allowing your family and employees to exit rapidly in the event of an emergency.
How To Install Locks For Sliding Glass Doors
If your lock is not working correctly and you need help figuring out what is wrong, read sliding glass door lock troubleshooting.
Capitalize On Technology With Your Sliding Glass Door Safety Latch
So many clients invest in surveillance cameras and alarm systems and neglect one of the most basic entrances to their home or office. Their patio door lock is antiquated and is inviting disaster.
Cutting edge technology for a home alarm system won’t help if your ancient method of using old locks and makeshift barriers can’t keep your home as safe as possible. Often the sliding glass door is the favorite entrance and exit of employees and family members.
Piece Of Wood: Not Ideal
We’ve all seen this. Enter a home or office with cutting edge camera systems and the sliding glass door is held secure with a piece of scrap wood. This can be effective in preventing unwanted entry (to a point), but it can also make it difficult for people to exit efficiently.
This is especially problematic in an emergency.
Luckily, advances in technology have made the locks inexpensive, easy to use and secure. They are made from steel, aluminum or other similar strong materials. They can handle some force being put upon them and have a much higher breaking point than a piece of wood.
Most locks are keyless. This means you don’t have to worry about misplacing your keys and taking forever to open that door when you want to get out.
Of course, there are also some available with keys, but we generally only recommend those if you want to place the lock on the outside, in order to make the sliding door a primary entry point to your home or office.
Stronger Than Ever
Stronger than typical locks, these locks offer a more secure solution for your home or office. And if you still have the difficult to use and unsecure traditional locks, the new technology will astound you.
Understand The Dangers Of A Sliding Patio Door
Unfortunately one of the nicest enhancements to your home or office comes with a degree of danger. Sliding glass doors can welcome criminals and be dangerous in the event of an emergency.
Open the police department’s crime summary or crime log in your local newspaper and you’re bound to find warnings about these doors. With violent crime rates escalating in the United States there is no better time to take every precaution in securing your assets, your home, your employees, and most importantly, your family.
Sliding doors can also be a hindrance to exiting your home of office in the event of an emergency. Traditional locks and security methods create unnecessary barriers to exiting in a safe and efficient manner.
Sliding Glass Door Weaknesses
Here are the main patio door weaknesses and thus, the main reasons you need a good lock on those doors.
Simple Latches On The Door Handle
Think you’re good about always locking your patio door? It may not be enough. If the latch is too simple, a burglar can unlatch it by just jiggling your door. It may not even take that much force to do this and it can also be broken quite easily even without a lot of force being applied.
This problem is easily prevented with a more secure locking system. You don’t necessarily need keys, but you do need something that can withstand a bit more force than the average patio door.
They’re Hidden Away From View
Most people have patio doors for a basement suite, or in their backyard. This means that they’re hidden from view and they can make an easy target for criminals. This makes it all the more important to secure them properly.
You Can See Through Them
Criminals love to see what they’re getting. A wallet sitting on the counter? A brand new laptop that they can easily grab and run with? A cabinet full of liquor.
Keep your blinds closed when not at home please!
They’re Easy to Break
A small hammer is usually all it takes to break a patio door. This is why an alarm, or security system is all the more important to keep your home or business safe.
Enjoy Your Patio Door Lock
Luckily advances in technology have made the newest sliding door lock choices easy to use and secure. Rather than stuck behind unwieldy barriers, your family and employees will use your sliding glass doors frequently and safely.
Isn’t that what doors are for? To be used?
As long as they aren’t used by criminals!
Sliding Door Locks: Your Thoughts
What’s your top security tip? Do you use a patio door lock? Any preferred brand, or something that you look for?
Also be sure to give this article a share on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest. It’ll help other people, like yourself who are concerned about keeping their home and family safe find this useful resource.
- Secure Windows And Doors To Protect Them From Breaking - October 27, 2022
- Troubleshooting Motion Sensor Security Lights - April 11, 2021
- Motion Detection Basics (Everything You Need To Know) - April 2, 2021
Last update on 2023-09-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API