These days, any police officer needs a body cam.
But they’re not the only ones.
Security guards come to mind, as does any other profession where you deal with people and need to protect yourself.
Sounds nice, but obviously they’re way too expensive for just anyone to afford.
Even the best body cams are surprisingly affordable and some decent ones even cost less than $50.
We’ve sifted through all of the options and found the top body cameras. These models would work great for police, but are inexpensive enough for any of us.
Best Body Cameras Compared
Best Body Cam: Reviews
All of the following models work great, but the cheapest one definitely lags behind the rest quite a bit. We only recommend that one if your budget is severely limited. Otherwise, spend a bit more and get our favorite budget option, at least.
Best Overall: Rexing P1 Body Worn Camera
Rexing P1 Body Worn Camera, 2” Display 1080p Full HD, 64G Memory,Record Video, Audio &...
- 1080p FHD & Infrared Night Vision - Enjoy Full HD recording capabilities and rest assured during the...
- Built-in 64GB Large Storage & Loop Recording - Built in 64GB storage for all your video, picture and...
- Long Battery Life & 21x Digital Zoom - A powerful 3000mAh battery lets you record video for up to 10...
- Safety - The P1 bodycam has PASSWORD PROTECTION where you can set a password for the camera to avoid...
- Ultra Compact & ULTRA WIDE ANGLE & One Button Design - 2” High Quality LCD screen packed inside a...
This body cam offers tons of storage and other useful features to help you increase your safety.
- Infrared LED
- Panic button
- 64GB storage
- This body camera has 1080p FHD and infrared night vision. This means you can record videos even when there’s poor visibility.
- High-intensity infrared LEDs enable you to record clear footage, even when you’re in pitch darkness and 50 feet away from what you want to record.
- This body cam comes with 64 GB storage for pictures, videos, and audio recordings.
- Loop recording feature ensures the camera does not stop recording when the storage limit is reached. It will overwrite old footage with the new. You can turn this feature off, if you prefer
- You can use the included USB cable to transfer your material to your chosen devices.
- 3000mAh battery will last for 10 hours.
- For increased safety, this body cam is protected by a password so you don’t have to worry about someone else removing or stealing your material.
- You might have to download software onto your computer in order to be able to view the videos that you record.
- Some users have reported that the clips could be stronger.
- This body cam is waterproof and shockproof.
- It’s light and discreet, while offering an ultra-wide angle of 170 degrees so you can record a large field of view.
- It comes with a Police Panic Mode button. When you press it, a loud siren and flashing lights are activated.
If you want to record your surroundings with a body cam, this is the best one on the market. It is lightweight and discreet, but packed with a ton of useful features to keep you safe.
Highest Quality: MIUFLY 1296P HD Waterproof Police Body Camera
MIUFLY 1296P HD Police Body Camera with 2 Inch Display , Night Vision , Built in 32G Memory and GPS...
- As the ultimate security gadget, this Full-HD body worn camera offers great security throughout your...
- Safety: You can set a password for the camera to avoid all recorded files being stolen or deleted.
- It comes with a 2 Inch LCD monitor on which it allows you to instantly watch back previous...
- Long Battery Life:A powerful 3200mAh battery lets you record footage for up to 10 hours in a row –...
- Built-in GPS: You can view the GPS movement track on the GPS player.
This body camera by Miufly is the best one we reviewed, but it costs considerably more than the Rexing. We don’t feel the large price difference is justified, which is why we prefer the Rexing. But if money is no object, go for this one instead.
- Lapel clip
- GPS receiver
- 64 GB storage (32 GB option, for $20 less)
- This is a full HD body camera that can easily be clipped onto a lapel so it’s not immediately visible, but still secured.
- It has a two-inch LCD monitor so you can play back previous recordings directly on the device.
- The storage capabilities on this camera are good, with the option of 32 GB or 64 GB of storage.
- With a powerful 2900mAH battery, this body cam gives you 10 hours of recording so you can stay on the job without worrying about recharging it.
- This best police body camera uses two IR LEDs that enable you to capture faces in the dark, up to 10 meters away.
- This body cam has a 1296P video resolution, for clear recordings day or night.
- One of the best features about this body cam is that it comes with a built-in GPS receiver. This means you can location tag your videos.
- Some owners have expressed disappointment with the belt clip that it comes with. It’s V-shaped and only works on thin attachments.
- There are some reports that this camera is not completely waterproof.
- As with the previous body cam we featured, this one comes with password protection so you can keep your recordings safe.
- It also works well as a dash cam.
As mentioned, this is the model we would get if money were no issue. Otherwise, the model from Rexing offers better value. And the next one below is even less expensive, but the drop off in quality from the Rexing is also larger.
Best Budget Body Cam: BOBLOV Body Camera
BOBLOV KJ21 Body Camera, 1296P Body Wearable Camera Support Memory Expand Max 128G 8-10Hours...
- 【Multi-functional Body Worn Camera】The body camera for law enforcement is easy to use and...
- 【Powerful Auto/Manual IR Night Vision 】 KJ21 body mounted camera with 140° wide angle captures...
- 【Audio &Video Record With External Storage】 Wearable body camera with audio recording adopts...
- 【Large Battery Capacity & Longer Video Fragments】BOBLOV KJ21 1296P video recorder comes with the...
- 【 Lightweight & 360° Rotate Clips】 Personal surveillance camera with lightweight and compact...
If you’re looking for a body camera that’s cheaper than the ones we’ve already featured on this list, but still good quality, this one by BOBLOV is the answer.
- 140-degree wide angle
- 32-foot recording capability
- 360-degree rotating clips
- You’ll be able to capture a lot in of surroundings with this body camera, thanks to a 140-degree wide-angle lens and a recording quality of 1296P HD.
- It’s also got high-intensity infrared LEDs so you can easily capture videos in low light from 32 feet away from your target – even in the dead of night.
- This body camera works with microSD card storage, and you can connect it to an external card that has up to 128G of storage.
- One of the best things about this body cam is that it comes with two 360-degree rotating clips that you can fit to your shoulder, backpack, belt, or shirt.
- Some buyers have reported that its buttons can sometimes feel a bit difficult to use when scrolling through the device’s menu.
- The time and date information that’s displayed on the screen is sometimes too small to be properly visible on video footage.
- This body cam doesn’t come with a memory card included.
- With a 2859mAh battery that can give you up to 10 hours of recording time, you won’t have to worry about constantly recharging this camera.
While it does have some drawbacks, this body camera has some great features that you don’t find on more expensive cameras, such as its rotating clips. And it costs less than most. If it’s still out of your budget, check out the next two options, but know that the drop in quality from this one is large.
Best Stick Type: KONPCOIU Mini Video Recorder
Camera no WiFi Needed - Mini Body Camera Video Recorder - Camera Motion Activated - Nanny Small Cam...
- ★[Ultra HD 1080P , wide-angle lens]：Perfect wearable MINI design, With its 1080P and 130-degree...
- ★[Long time ]: This body camera comes with a built-in high-quality 1100mAh rechargeable lithium...
- ★[Easy to use]：Easy to operate and two steps to record，one-click shooting. body camera has...
- ★[Ultra Mini body 90 degree rotating camera]：Video Recorder (3.74 inches, weighing only 3...
- ★[Multi-function micro-camera]: The A3 mini camera can be used almost anywhere, whether at home,...
A clip-on stick type body camera is more discreet when you’re trying to record sensitive video or audio content. But the quality is nowhere near the previous models. We only recommend this one if you really don’t want anyone to know you are wearing a camera.
- 130-degree lens
- 90-degree rotating camera
- MicroSD card included
- This camera has 1080P and 130-degree wide angle lens to capture quality recordings.
- It’s got a 1100mAh rechargeable battery so you can record for up to six hours. That is considerably less than the other we’ve featured in this review and comparison, but you can use it with a portable battery and continue recording for up to 30 hours.
- If you’re using a body cam for the first time, you’ll love that this one is user-friendly. It just takes two easy steps to start recording.
- This body cam is light, weighing just three ounces and being 3.74 inches, so it’s very discreet.
- It has a 90-degree rotating camera.
- For ease of use, it comes with a back clip and hanging hole, so you can wear it in a variety of ways, such as on your collar or in your pocket.
- This mini camera works with microSD cards that are up to 128 GB and an SD card is included with your purchase (32 GB).
- This body cam doesn’t come with an internal clock, which means you need to manually set the time on it and it only starts keeping time when you start recording a video.
- Although the device does come with a USB included, this can only be used to power it up – you can’t use it to connect the body cam to your computer to transmit data, which seems a bit strange.
- If you accidentally drop this mini camera, it won’t break easily, thanks to its metal construction. It’s also resistant to shocks as well as wear and tear.
For a really budget-friendly option, this and the next one below are your best bets. But neither comes close to the other models listed here and we only recommend it if those are all out of your budget.
This is also the best slim stick type cam, so if you want that style, because it is easier to hide, this is the top choice.
Best Small Body Camera: YIJIAOYUN HD1080P Body Worn Video Recorder
Body Camera HD1080P Video Recorder Built-in 32GB Memory Card, Wearable Cam Outdoor Sports DV with...
- ★Ultra HD 1080P & 180° Rotating Camera ★ : The mini body camera can capture the details clearly...
- ★ Long Battery Life ★ : This small body camera comes with a built-in high-quality 800mAh...
- ★ Portable Size ★ : Perfect wearable miniI size: 2.16in x 1.96in x 1.4in. It is small and...
- ★ Easy to use and night vision ★ : You do not need to buy additional memory card, as this camera...
- ★ Multi-function ★ : The mini body camera can be use as a security gadget or a great gift for...
Size is everything when it comes to a body cam – you want a small, light, easy to conceal device that’s also easy to carry. If you need yours to be as small as possible, check out this model by YIJIAOYUN.
Like the previous one, we don’t really recommend it, unless you specifically need the smallest cam possible. Among the mini body cams, it is the best.
- LED infrared lamps
- 1080P HD video
- 32G TF card
- This is the smallest body cam on our list – it weighs only 3.31 ounces and clocks in at roughly two by two by one inches!
- Even though it’s really small, it’s still pretty good. It has 1080P HD video with a 90-degree wide-angle lens.
- It’s also designed with four LED infrared lamps that can be used at night.
- With an 800mAh battery, this will give you up to six hours of recording. You can also charge it while you record.
- It offers a variety of ways in which to carry it. You can wear it on your shirt pocket, place it on a table or shelves, or use the 360-degree rotating back clip.
- It comes with a 32G TF card so you can store all your recordings.
- It’s not waterproof, so even though you can wear it in a variety of ways and use it for various tasks you will have to be careful not to get it wet.
- The instructions that come with this body cam are unclear and difficult to understand.
- This body cam is really easy to use. It’s got a one-button push design for taking pictures, recording videos, and recording audio so you won’t waste time fiddling with it when you want to start capturing content.
If you want a really discreet body cam that does a decent job, this is the best choice. But if you want the best recording quality, the top three choices are all far better.
Best Body Camera FAQs
Have you found a body cam that you’d like to buy from our best body camera reviews?
Great, but you might still have some questions related to body cams and how they work. With that in mind, let’s check out some commonly-asked questions about body cams.
Is it illegal to wear a body camera at work?
When researching the best body camera on the market, you might have found that the cameras are usually marketed as being useful for a variety of tasks – and these are targeted to police officers, as well as civilians.
But you might wonder if it’s even legal to wear a body camera, especially at work.
You can wear a body cam at work as long as you’re not violating any privacy laws. In some U.S. states, it’s considered illegal to record private conversations without all parties consenting to being recorded.
Therefore, it’s important to consider what the laws are in the region where you live, before you go ahead and wear a body cam in public.
How can I hide my body camera?
In some cases, you might want to hide your body camera, so that no one knows you are wearing one.
In this case, choose a body camera that is small and portable, and not easily seen. An example is the YIJIAOYUN body camera that we featured in our body cam reviews. It’s really small and can be worn in a variety of ways.
In addition, it also has a one-push button design. This is important because there’s no point in choosing a body cam that’s discreet if you can’t quickly start recording video and/or audio with it while it’s hidden from view. No one wants to have to remove it from their belt clip or pocket in order to start recording!
But remember, there is always a trade off. When you get a camera this small, the quality inevitably suffers.
When choosing a discreet body camera, make sure it can be carried in a way that suits you. For example, if you like to wear items on your shirt pocket or on your back, make sure the device is designed to cater to this, so that it feels comfortable and does not impede your movement in any way.
Can police turn off body cameras?
There are times when police officers will need to turn off their cameras. This includes when they risk capturing private conversations of people within earshot of the camera or capturing surveillance footage of people in private places.
Police officers are allowed to turn off their cameras at their discretion, for example if the camera is a violation of privacy in a certain situation. The risk, of course, is if police officers choose to turn off their body cams when they shouldn’t.
It’s worth bearing in mind that police officers in different states will be required to follow different rules when it comes to how they wear and use their body cams.
For example, a new ruling in Minneapolis states that officers are now prohibited from deactivating their body cameras, even, when they want to have a private conversation. This is meant to improve the transparency and accountability of police officers.
How long do body cameras last?
Body camera batteries usually last for several hours. Some, such as the Rexing P1 we featured in our buying guide, can last for up to 10 hours. Some can still be used while being recharged.
In case you’re wondering, when it comes to the actual footage that is captured on the body cam, law enforcement agencies have to keep video and audio recordings that reveal evidence for no less than 30 days.
Best Body Camera: Conclusion
If you’re a police officer, you might want to get yourself a body cam. This not only provides you with information you need to do your job but it ensures you can stay safe when out on a shift.
That said, body cams aren’t just for police officers.
You might want to wear a body cam to protect yourself at your job. You might also need one to record evidence of criminal activity.
In this article, we’ve featured five of the best wearable camera devices to consider.
We’ve looked at their pros and cons to help you find one that suits your needs the best. We’ve included several styles and budgets, to ensure there is a model for any need.
- Dash Cam Pros And Cons (Benefits And Drawbacks You Need to Know) - April 16, 2021
- How To Block Audio Recording Devices - April 15, 2021
- 6 Best Family Locator Apps (That Actually Work) - April 15, 2021
Last update on 2023-01-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API