It’s not just the stuff of sci-fi movies.
These days anyone can buy a tiny listening device or secret camera on Amazon.
That means there is a good chance someone might try to spy on you at some point.
Luckily, you can buy RF detectors on Amazon, too. With a good one, you can detect any device that might be spying on you.
It doesn’t have to be in your home or office either. Perhaps you’re staying at an AirBnB and you want to know if the apartment contains a hidden camera.
The problem is that many RF detectors available to the public are not very reliable. That’s why we did the research to bring you the best RF detectors on the market.
Top RF Detectors Compared
Best RF Detectors Reviewed
The following RF detectors are the best models on the market. We included several price ranges and one ultra-compact one. Read the brief reviews below to figure out which one is best suited to your needs and budget.
Best Overall: TriField Radio Frequency Detector
Electric Field, Radio Frequency (RF) Field, Magnetic Field Strength Meter by Trifield – EMF Meter...
- Detects all three types of EMF pollution: AC magnetic, AC electric, and RF/microwave
- Peak Hold captures fast pulses, for measuring fast digital signals
- 3-axis AC magnetic field, 1-axis AC electric field, 1-axis RF (reads all existing 5G, etc.)
- Fast indicator bar quickly shows hot spots, and adjustable backlight
- 1-Year Manufacturer Warranty
This Trifield RF detector is actually three devices in one. Let’s check it out.
- Large LCD screen
- Peak hold feature
- This EMF meter is an AC electric field meter, radio power density meter, and AC gaussmeter in one unit.
- It provides quick and accurate measurements of electromagnetic fields.
- Even if you’ve never used an RF detector before, this one is really easy and user-friendly. Simply turn the knob to select the type of field you want to measure. `
- Large LCD screen so you can clearly see your readings. You can adjust the screen’s backlight for even better viewing.
- Peak hold feature enables you to hold fast pulses so you can measure them with ease.
- You can use this RF detector for a variety of purposes, like measuring mobile phone and cell tower RF radiation, overhead AC line emissions, smart meter RF radiation, microwave oven leaks, appliance EMF emissions, and more.
- Some reports of difficulty in determining what the measurements mean.
- Device feels a bit flimsy, but it works fine and is well made.
- This RF detector comes with a sensitive mode – this is useful for times when you want to measure Wi-Fi and mobile EMF.
- It can work for over 20 hours on a 9v battery. It has a low battery indicator.
If you’re looking for a reliable RF detector that detects several types of radiation, this one by TriField is the best on the market today.
Best Budget RF Detector: Wattne Anti Spy Detector
Wattne Anti Spy Detector, Bug Detector, KORKUAN RF Detector, Hidden Camera Detectors, Camera Finder...
- Thank you for our customers who feedback the problem about K18. Now we release This Upgraded Version...
- Ai detection - can automatically identify, classify and record the dangerous signal. Prevent...
- AI LED Display - Can fastly and precisely locate the signal source. Can accurately detects the...
- Signal radiation detection - can detect radio Wave, 2G, 3G, 4G mobile phone SIM card bug, GPS...
- Ultra-sensitive - with upgraded ultra-sensitive chips, can adjust the sensitivity only with a knob...
This Wattne anti-spy detector makes use of AI – here’s how it can protect your privacy when you’re at home.
- Sound and light alarm
- Wi-Fi detection
- Multiple radio-wave detection
- It has a signal radiation detection capability that can pick up radio waves that are 2G, 3G, and 4G.
- This device is highly sensitive; you can adjust its level of sensitivity by turning a knob.
- It has a sound and light alarm indicator.
- The instruction manual which doesn’t provide a lot of information.
- It takes a long time to learn how to use, so it’s not ideal for beginners and/or those who are not technically inclined.
- This RF detector is very sensitive, so you can use it to detect various different types of RF signals, such as those from cell phones and Wi-Fi gadgets.
This bug detector lags behind the previous model in terms of features and accuracy, but it also costs far less. That is why it is our top choice for those on a budget.
Most Compact: Jepwco G4 Pro
Jepwco G4 Pro Anti Spy Detector for Wireless Audio Bug Camera, Bug Detector, Privacy Protector, 5...
- Privacy safety - This RF signal detector can detect eavesdropping devices, pinhole cameras, wired...
- Signal detection - Can detect radio waves, 2G,3G,4G mobile signal, SIM card bug. Frequency detection...
- Ultra-sensitivity - With upgraded ultra-sensitive chips, this camera detector has 5 levels of...
- Battery life - Rechargeable lithium-ion battery (up to 25 hours of use per charge).
- Lightweight - Portable like a pen (only 30g), easy to carry and store. Perfectly for home, office,...
If you’re looking for a portable RF detector, this one by Jepwco is your best bet. It features a pen shaped design, making it easy to carry with you anywhere.
- GPS-tracker detection
- 25-hour battery
- Five sensitivity levels
- This signal detector is capable of detecting a variety of devices, such as pinhole cameras, wired and wireless cameras, and GPS locators.
- It’s powerful enough to detect radio waves that are 2G, 3G, and 4G.
- It has a frequency detection range of 1Mhz to 6.5Ghz.
- The product has been upgraded to be more sensitive – it offers five sensitivity levels.
- Its battery life is good – you can get up to 25 hours of use after charging the battery.
- Since it only weighs 30g, you can easily carry this detector anywhere. Its small and compact size also makes it easy to store.
- One of the best features about this RF detector is that it will guide you to where it’s picking up the devices that are hiding in your home. This is great because some other RF detectors will detect hidden devices but not direct you to their exact location.
- Some reports that it doesn’t perform that well when it comes to detecting cameras.
- It’s extremely easy to use, with two buttons to switch into various modes: RF wireless signal detection, radio wave detection, and camera detection.
This easy-to-use and compact best bug detector device is one of the best on the market. It also costs less than the others on this list. We prefer the previous model for those on a budget, but if compactness is important, this is the top choice.
Advanced GQ EMF-390
EMF Meter,Advanced GQ EMF-390 Multi-Field Electromagnetic Radiation 3-in-1 EMF ELF RF meter, 5G Cell...
- Multiple high sensitivity sensors installed for detecting Power line, Smart meter, Cell phone,...
- Identify/recognize the common possible sources, such as Power line, Cell Tower, Microwave, Static...
- Safety suggestion lets you understand current situation instantly.
- Detects 5G network signal and RF up to 10Ghz
- Built-in RF Spectrum analyzer and GQ RF Browser for real time RF monitoring.
Just like previous product, the GQ EMF meter will pick up and identify the source of emissions that are in your home. Let’s check out its features in greater detail.
- 5G detection
- Real-time monitoring
- Safety suggestions
- This meter has various sensitive sensors that can detect smart meters, power lines, microwaves, cell phones, and more. It can detect 5G network signals and RF up to 10Ghz, so it’s quite versatile.
- Will also provide you with safety suggestions based on the threat that’s been discovered.
- It comes with what’s known as an RF spectrum analyzer and browser. These enable real-time monitoring of privacy threats.
- The device clock is sometimes inaccurate.
- Some reports that the frequency range doesn’t quite go up to 10Ghz, as advertised.
- The device’s display is an all-in-one design so you can gain information from all the sensors in one place. The analog format makes it user-friendly and easy to read.
This EMF meter is excellent, but lags just a bit behind our favorite in just about every area. The one where it wins is price. If you want to save a bit of money, it is an excellent alternative.
LATNEX AF-3500 EMF Meter RF Detector and Reader with Calibration Certificate - Measures RF and...
- ✔ RF EMF METER AND DETECTOR ALL IN ONE with Calibration Certificate - Reliable meter for measuring...
- ✔ IMPRESSIVE DESIGN, QUALITY, AND ALARM FUNCTION - Large screen and buttons to toggle between RF,...
- ✔ FREE TECHNICAL SUPPORT PROVIDED FOR EVERY PURCHASE; Phone and Email support via Amazon Messages...
- ✔ 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE 2 YEARS WARRANTY ensures this will quickly become your favorite...
- ✔ OUTLINED FEATURES - RF Detector or RF Meter Mode - 50MHz~3.5GHZ; EMF METER or EMF Reader for...
If you want to are using an RF detector for the first time, it helps to choose one that’s beginner-friendly. Let’s see why this one is.
- RF and LF detection
- Toggle buttons
- Alarm included
- Measures RF and LF (low-frequency) radiation, so you’ll be able to detect radiation from numerous sources, such as cell phones, smart meters, Wi-Fi modems, appliances, electric boxes, and high power lines.
- It’s easy to use, thanks to its big screen and toggle buttons that make it easy to navigate the menu, when you want to switch from electrical meter to RF or gauss meter.
- Has an alarm that beeps when your readings switch from microwatts/square meters to milliwatts per square meter. This helps you find where the radiation is coming from, making it easy to use.
- Some consumers find the device cover plate flimsy.
- Since it only measures up to 3.5GHz, it won’t be accurate for picking up 5G.
- You can’t adjust the screen’s brightness.
- The screen is nice and large, with clear readings that make it easy to read them at a glance.
If you’re looking for user-friendliness in an RF detector, this one tops the rest in that category. But the limited frequency range is a big drawback, especially with the advent of widespread 5G.
RF Detectors FAQ
If you want to learn a bit more about RF signal detector devices, here’s are some frequently asked questions.
How do you use a RF signal detector?
Many RF signal indicators are pretty straightforward to use. You switch the device on and then move it carefully around the room where you want to detect frequencies.
These devices usually have flashing lights or sounds (or both) to notify you when you’re getting closer to the source of the signal.
What signals do most bugs operate at?
There are different types of bugs that operate at different frequencies. For example, many bugs have a transmit frequency between 20MHz and 3GHz. However, more expensive bug devices can work in the 3GHz to 21GHz range.
Should I buy an RF detector with full spectrum detection?
When we talk about spectrum, we’re talking about the frequency range in a signal. The greater the amount of frequencies you can detect with your RF detector, the better.
As we’ve seen in our best anti spy detector reviews, there are RF detectors that can monitor your home for more than bug devices, like radiation from other sources.
But even if you’re only detecting bug devices, RF detectors with a full spectrum are better, because listening devices can use different radio frequencies.
For example, a listening device could be set up via a cell phone, and thus produce a cellular signal. But such a device could also use Wi-Fi or Bluetooth signals. A good RF detector will detect all of those signals.
What are some good RF detector apps for your phone?
There are a few RF detector apps you can try if you want to sweep your home for bugs.
The best RF detector app is Electromagnetic Detector EMF (available on iPhone). It uses the compass hardware in your phone to pick up on magnetic fields.
Another app is Bug Detector Scanner (available on Android). It locates hidden cameras and other devices in your home. It’s user-friendly and responsive.
It is important to note that these types of apps offer basic functionality, but are not the same quality as RF detectors that can pick up far more.
If you still want to go ahead with using a smartphone app, make sure your phone has a magnetometer in it to measure magnetic fields, otherwise the app won’t work.
Best RF Detector: Conclusion
If you want to sweep your home for bugs, you’ll need to buy a good radio-frequency detector. These bug detectors can pick up and pinpoint the radio frequency waves emitted by listening devices, cameras, or other electronic gadgets.
We compared and reviewed the best RF detectors above, making sure to include several types at multiple budget levels. This way, you should be able to find the one best suited to your needs.
- Dash Cam Pros And Cons (Benefits And Drawbacks You Need to Know) - April 16, 2021
- How To Block Audio Recording Devices - April 15, 2021
- 6 Best Family Locator Apps (That Actually Work) - April 15, 2021
Last update on 2021-06-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API